Status: Full Time
Location: Watsonville, CA
The eCommerce Merchant, Core establishes the strategic direction for all Core products sold on westmarine.com ensuring sales and merchandising objectives are met. Assists in the development and implementation of online Core business plans and coordinates the development of annual product sales and margin budgets for westmarine.com. This position serves as the single point of contact for all Core assortments sold online. The eCommerce Merchant, Core works closely with Catalog Marketing, Online Publishing, Online Marketing, Merchandising Operations, Merchants, and Fulfillment teams in optimizing the merchandising assortment and managing product placement in eCatalogs and across westmarine.com. The Online Merchant, Core is accountable for achieving the online margin and sales objectives. Responsibilities also include scanning and identifying environmental issues that impact the online retail selling environments, keeping informed of industry trends and business issues, identifying opportunities to grow eCatalog and online sales and the quality of product content in eCatalogs and on westmarine.com. This position reports directly to the Director of eMerchandising.
- Participate in 1-3 year planning sessions and Direct Business Plan development and evaluate and recommend category solutions.
- Manage and publish the merchandising calendar.
- Manage product merchandising, marketing and placement in eCatalogs and throughout westmarine.com.
- Work closely with online analytics, creative, and search teams to adjust assortments based on customer behavior.
- Increase online conversion through online analytics, user experience, and on and off-site merchandising and increase attachment by improving cross-sells and other cross merchandising opportunities.
- Recommend and support the development of content by working with Category Managers, Content Management, and Vendors.
- Support merchandising goals by executing catalog and online implementations identified in Merchant Strategic Plans.
- Partner with fulfillment to identify unproductive inventory for clearance or markdown.
- Partner with the pricing organization to fully support pricing programs, including NPR, EOL, and the markdown process.
- Support the execution of item set-up for Internet only products
Identify and recommend 'Best Practices' for Internet selling, and facilitate their sharing and implementation across all business areas.
- Attend Merchandising and Vendor meetings as needed discussing category solutions and related problems, sharing insights learned from other areas, and communicating changes, process and procedure.
- Communicate and recommend product placements online to Directs' management team, and work to implement approved programs.
- Manage and oversee catalog and online vendor funded co-op.
- Optimize online navigation and presentation based on analytics (click-path, traffic, conversion, etc.).
- Create appropriate cross-sell and up-sell opportunities throughout the site. Monitor performance and adjust accordingly.
- Review competitive websites to evaluate site merchandise, promotional tactics, customer experience, and product presentation and translate findings into executable online programs.
- Ensure promotional online execution accuracy (pricing, ads, deals, online experience, etc.)
- 4 year degree
- 3+ years experience in retail product merchandising
- 3+ years online experience in retail product merchandising
- Knowledge of Core Products
- Experience in or a “passion” for boating
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Negotiation and relationship building skills
- Excellent time management/organizational skills
- Ability to follow existing standards
- MBA or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years experience in online retail product merchandising
- Experience in the marine industry
- High degree of familiarity with the retail industry as a whole – preferably in the boating sector
- Experience in program/project or product management
Return to Job Listings