||Waterlife lovers are in for a treat with the Grand Opening of the new West Marine West Islip Flagship store, March 20-23. As the retailer’s largest store in New York State, West Marine’s new flagship boasts 24,800 square feet of nautical necessities and access to experts who can help boaters, anglers and paddlesports enthusiasts make the most of their time on the water.
Grand Opening festivities begin March 20 with “Cruising for a Cause” charity event, an evening of live music, local food and beverages including the Blue Island Oyster bar, and an exclusive auction to raise funds for local marine-based organizations. Over the weekend, stop by to meet Nick Mavar from Discovery Channel’s Deadliest Catch and Captain Ralph Wilkins from National Geographic’s hit series Wicked Tuna. The fun continues with free daily demos by boating experts, special deals on waterlife gear and accessories, giveaways and more.
||Thursday, March 20-Sunday, March 23
Grand Opening Store Hours Thursday – Saturday: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., Sunday: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
“Cruising for a Cause” Thursday, 6 – 9 p.m.
Saturday, March 22, 11 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.: Meet Nick Mavar of Deadliest Catch
Sunday, March 23, 11 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.: Meet Captain Ralph Wilkins of Wicked Tuna
||West Marine – 147 Sunrise Hwy, West of Robert Moses Causeway in West Islip, NY
|Grand Opening Highlights:
- “Cruising for a Cause” – Join us at the store Thursday night from 6 - 9 p.m. for a special charity event that will feature live music, oysters from Blue Island Oyster Farm and other local specialties. Proceeds benefit local maritime organizations, including Babylon Village Youth Project, Babylon Yacht Club Youth Sailing Program, Bay Shore Yacht Club Junior Sailing, Bellport Bay Sailing Foundation, Carman’s River Maritime Center, Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society, Great South Bay Power Squadron, Long Island Maritime Museum, Long Island Traditions, Sagamore Yacht Club for Alzheimer's Disease Resource Center, Save the Beaches and Suffolk Marine Anglers. Advance tickets can be purchased for $10 at West Marine West Islip or from participating organizations.
- Fishing Stars – Nick Mavar from Discovery Channel’s Deadliest Catchwill beat the store Saturday from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. to sign autographs and tell fishing tales. Captain Ralph Wilkins from National Geographic’s hit series Wicked Tuna will be on deck at the same time Sunday(Both will also be at “Cruising for a Cause” on Thursday night.)
- Festive Family Fun – All weekend long, the store will host interactive how-tos with West Marine pros, barbeque demos by Magma and an outdoor boat show with latest models from local dealers. Live steel drum music presented by Maui Jim on Saturday from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Fishing Seminars – Local experts will give tips and techniques for local waters, such as Whitewater Outfitters (Saturday 10 - 11 a.m.), Captain of the Shinnecock Star (Saturday 12 - 1 p.m.), Capt. Tom Mikoleski of Montauk’s boat "Grand Slam” (Saturday 2 - 3 p.m.) and Kevin Falvey, Editor in Chief of Boating Magazine & author of Falvey’s Guide to Fishing Long Island (Sunday 1 - 2 p.m.).
- Shop and Tour the Store – New sections and highlights including The Bait Shack, a comprehensive engine parts department, new stand-up paddleboard shop. There will be deals on casual and technical apparel, foul weather gear, footwear and accessories from Roxy, Tommy Bahama, Pelagic, Quiksilver and Sperry Top-Sider. AND giveaways galore!
Facebook and Twitter @westmarine
||Thursday, March 20, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Media Talk and Tour with West Marine’s Jim Abel, Regional Vice President
- Speak with Nick Mavar from Discovery Channel’s Deadliest Catch and Captain Ralph from National Geographic’s hit series Wicked Tuna
- Photo and Interview opportunities with “Cruising for a Cause” beneficiaries
Thursday, March 20 – Sunday, March 23
- Interviews are available throughout the four-day event with Store Manager Albert Milam with photo opps galore
||For early access, photos, interviews and live remotes