G/flex 650 is a new epoxy introduced by WEST SYSTEM in mid-June 2007. A toughened, versatile, liquid epoxy for permanent waterproof bonding of fiberglass, ceramics, metals, plastics, damp and difficult-to-bond woods. G/flex offers these important features:
- Toughness and Flexibility G/flex has been toughened. This gives G/flex the ability to make structural bonds that can absorb the stresses of expansion, contraction, shock, and vibration. G/flex is resilient and impact resistant. With a modulus of elasticity of 150,000 psi (WEST SYSTEM 105 Resin/205 Hardener has a modulus of elasticity of 450,000 psi), G/flex is more flexible and can deflect further than WEST SYSTEM 105/205, while being much stiffer than typical adhesive sealants.
- Bonds to wet and damp surfaces G/flex has the ability to glue damp woods. It can be used on wet surfaces, even underwater when applied with specific techniques.
- Excellent adhesion to hard-to-bond woods G/flex adheres tenaciously to difficult-to-glue hardwoods, both tropical and domestic varieties. This is important since many of the exotic and tropical species now being used to replace traditional woods present bonding challenges.
- Bonds well to a variety of materials G/flex is ideal for bonding a variety of materials, including dissimilar ones. G/flex has a superior grip so that it can be used to bond to metals, plastics, glass, masonry, and fiberglass. G/flex is ideal for repairs to aluminum boats and polyethylene and ABS canoes and kayaks. It can also be used to wet out and bond fiberglass tapes and fabrics.
- Ease of use G/flex is a simple two-part epoxy system. Resin and hardener are mixed in a 1:1 mix ratio by volume. For added convenience, a pre-thickened version, G/flex 655 Thickened Epoxy Adhesive, is also available. G/flex provides a relatively long open working time of 45 minutes. It cures in 7-10 hours and can be used in cool temperatures. Because it is simple to mix and use, G/flex is an excellent starting point for customers new to epoxy use.
- Versatility G/flex can be modified with WEST SYSTEM fillers and additives if you need to meet particular bonding needs. Adding G/flex to other WEST SYSTEM epoxies can improve their toughness and flexibility.
G/Flex 650 Kit contains: One 4oz. bottle of epoxy, one 4oz. bottle of hardener, 2 mixing sticks, 2 syringes, 4 mixing cups, 406 Colloidal Silica, one pr. gloves, four alcohol pads