Sr. Programmer / Analyst
Department: Information Technology
Status: Full Time
Location: Watsonville, CA
The Sr. programmer/analyst must have strong all around development and analytical skills and be proficient with various technologies and methodologies including JAVA, XML, and SQL. Additionally, experience with RPG is a plus. The position will require partnering with the business community to manage major data downloads to West Marine’s point of sale platform including customer and employee data, and pricing and promotional events. The resource also works closely with IT and business teams to maintain and enhance Micros Retail Xstore point of sale application and a large suite of related interfaces.
- Provide technical mentoring and hands-on coding for point of sale related interfaces and support.
- Assess business requirements and produce functional/technical documentation and system designs for POS changes using industry best practice techniques.
- Drive tasks all the way through the Software Development Life Cycle – from high level concepts thru rapid deployment of changes.
- Function as a POS domain expert and work closely with software vendor, other developers, and QA engineers to ensure adherence to West Marine design/coding standards and industry best practice techniques.
- Conduct sizing and cost analysis to determine feasibility of planned changes.
- Develop unit and performance test plans. Assist QA team with development of system and UAT test plans/scripts.
- Ensure integrity of code base is maintained. Plan and execute regular builds and deployments including vendor patches and maintenance releases.
- Participate in the triage of defects and prioritization of system enhancements
- Troubleshoot, fix, and test issues/defects resulting from either the change control process or production activities.
- Provide on-going coaching, enabling team members to develop and improve skills and capabilities that enhance the effectiveness of the department.
- Participate in the development of long term strategy for application integrations.
- 5+ years application development with increasing accountability and delivery of complex integrations and other solutions
- 2+years point of sale or related retail experience – Micros Xstore experience a plus.
- 10+ years strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Broad experience using various integration techniques including Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), and Extract, Transformation, and Load (ETL) tools and methods
- Essential Tools/technologies: JAVA, XML, SQL
- Strong communication skills – written and oral. Ability to influence decisions regarding strategy, design, and technology tools.
- Able to identify and evaluate strategies to mitigate risk
- Experience working in a Retail/Wholesale operation – understanding sales posting, pricing, and order management.
Return to Job Listings