WATSONVILLE, Calif. (June 10th, 2010) – -June 10th marks the kick-off of the Grand Opening weekend of West Marine’s Middletown, RI Store. The Store has 23,000 square feet of floor space, making it the largest West Marine Store in New England. With over 16,000 products this Store has more sail hardware, anchor, docking, electrical, plumbing and maintenance products than any West Marine in the country. A full service rigging shop is on site, and the significantly increased inventory selection was designed to meet the needs of sailors and recreational boaters in the Newport market.
FUN FACTS AND FIGURES
- West Marine’s new Middletown location is three times larger than the previous West Marine on Connell Highway.
- This West Marine store will employ more than 60 Associates, in season.
- West Marine’s store staff has collectively earned over 621 years of boating and sailing experience.
UNIQUE STORE FEATURES
Along with interactive resources and informative displays, the West Marine Flagship Store offers a core boating section that is larger than most West Marine stores.
- One of the Largest Marine Electronics Displays in New England: Over 140 electronics displays from Garmin, Raymarine, ICOM, Lowrance, Humminbird, Norcross, Standard Horizon, Uniden and more.
- This Store Is Stocked: The Store was designed to be a one-stop-shop for New England boaters. It has the largest selection of technical and foul weather gear including West Marine’s new line designed specifically by boaters for boaters. With one of the most extensive inventories of safety equipment this Store strives to have everything you need for a great day or voyage on the water.
- We Are Well Equipped To Help You: With a great rigging shop right on site and a huge rope wall with every type of line you could ever want.
The Middletown Store Associates share their Customers’ love of the water and the all-star team has real-world experience that is second to none. Here’s a summary of the experience of some of the Associates:
Jan Costelloe, General Manager of West Marine’s Flagship Newport Store
Jan supervises 60 Associates in West Marine’s newest and largest store in New England. She grew up on Great South Bay in Long Island, NY and began boating when she was 12. Jan later spent 20 years working in New York City, commuting to the Big Apple from Amityville, Long Island where she sailed a Mariner sloop, a JY 15 and did frostbiting in an El Toro. In 1988 Jan sold all her possessions and moved aboard a Pearson Wanderer. Then she set sail for Nova Scotia, the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Jan began working for West Marine in Connecticut in 2001 and moved to Newport 4 years ago.
Michael Dahill, Port Supply Market Team Manager
Michael has over 50 years of boating experience. He has worked at West Marine for the last 7 years and previously worked for New England Ropes among other companies. He and his wife have a 35 ft. sailboat that they use to cruise in Buzzards Bay, Nantucket Sound and Block Island Sound. Michael works locally with Sue Dawson who runs the Port Supply Hub at the new store location. Sue has two years of experience running other hub operations.
Michael Yorston, Sales Specialist, Professional Captains Services
ABOUT WEST MARINE
Michael has worked in the boat building industry for 35 years. His vast experience includes employment responsibilities at Edy & Duff in Mattapoisett. MA, Derecktor Shipyards in Newport, RI and DN Kellys in New Bedford, MA where he grew up as a child. He has been with West Marine for 15 years. He enjoys sailing, fishing and kayaking – basically any activity on the water.
West Marine, the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has over 330 company-operated stores located in 38 states, Puerto Rico, Canada and two franchised stores located in Turkey. Our call center and Internet channels offer customers approximately 50,000 products and the convenience of exchanging catalog and Internet purchases at our store locations. Our Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine's products and store locations, or to start shopping, visit www.westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464).