WATSONVILLE, Calif. (June 10th, 2010) – -
Grand Opening:West Marine, the nation’s largest specialty retailer of boating equipment and accessories, will host a Grand Opening celebration for its Newport County Flagship Store at 379 West Main Road beginning on Thursday, June 10 – Sunday, June 13.
At 23,000 square feet, the Newport store will have more sail hardware, anchor, docking, electrical, plumbing and maintenance products than any West Marine store in the country. This will be the biggest West Marine Store in the New England, featuring over 140 electronic displays from Garmin, Raymarine, ICOM, Lowrance, Hummingbird, Northstar, Standard Horizon, Uniden, Boat US and more.
There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony on Thursday, June 10 at 6 PM with Kenny Read, PUMA Ocean Racing skipper.
In-Store Events:A private media luncheon and store tour will be held with West Marine Executives on Thursday, June 10 from noon until 1 p.m. Later that evening, the Cruising for a Cause Party will begin at 6 p.m. to benefit Rhode Island non-profit boating organizations.
Additional free, family-friendly, in-store activities include:
- Representatives from Harken, Icom, Garmin, Navico, Standard Horizon, Raymarine, Spot, Sperry and more will be available throughout the Grand Opening with giveaways and advice on the best products for your boat and your boating lifestyle.
- All weekend visitors can take the Power Boat Docking Challenge, designed to showcase their talented docking skills by maneuvering a 4ft., twin engine, remote-controlled boat down the 20 ft. tank to the marina. (Thursday – Sunday)
- Harken Winch Grinder Competition – Test your strength and endurance on an authentic “America’s Cup” style grinder. Turn the handles on the pedestal as fast as you can – the fastest times win prizes. (Thursday-Sunday)
- Free hot dogs from 11am -1pm, while supplies last.
- Throughout the event, West Marine will be encouraging local participants to enter its first annual “Green Product of the Year” award contest. West Marine will award one prize of $10,000 to the designated Official Winner (void where prohibited by law).
- There will be More chances to win over the weekend as special in store one-time deals and valuable prizes will be raffled off to lucky participating visitors.
Media Luncheon and store tour with Executives:
Thursday June 10, 12 noon – 1 p.m.
(*Briefing to begin at 12 noon sharp, followed by store tour)
Cruising For a Cause Event
Thursday, June 10, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Grand Opening Events - Thursday June 10 through Sunday June 13, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – Thursday June 10 at 6 PM with Kenny Read,
Puma Ocean Racing Skipper
Onne van der Wal Autographs - Thursday June 10, 7:00- 7:30 p.m.
West Marine Flagship Store
379 West Main Road
Middletown, RI 02840
Why: To provide Newport County boaters with the broadest and best selection of boating equipment, accessories and apparel.
ABOUT WEST MARINE
West Marine, the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has over 330 company-operated stores located in 38 states, Puerto Rico, Canada and two franchised stores located in Turkey. Our call center and Internet channels offer customers approximately 50,000 products and the convenience of exchanging catalog and Internet purchases at our store locations. Our Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine's products and store locations, or to start shopping, visit www.westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464).