WATSONVILLE, Calif. (November 22nd, 2010)
West Marine, the country’s largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, announced the grand opening celebration of its newest Flagship location in Sarasota, Florida on Thursday, December 9 through Sunday, December 12, 2010. Area-boaters and anglers can take part in the weekend celebration at the store, located at 4708 South Tamiami Trail at the intersection of Proctor Road. Festivities begin at 8 a.m. and continue until 9 p.m., Thursday through Saturday, and until 8 p.m. on Sunday.
Edgar Hansen, Deck Boss and Chief Engineer of the fishing vessel Northwestern, as featured on Discovery Channel’s “Deadliest Catch” will be at the Store, signing autographs from 2:00 – 4:30 p.m. on Saturday
Additional family fun activities throughout the weekend:
- A Boat Show on site with over 20 boats, featuring numerous Suncoast area dealers. Catch the great grand opening specials!
- The Chairfighting Challenge will test anglers’ strength and endurance.
- Experts provide tips and tricks on how to maximize your boat’s performance and your fishing expertise.
- Door-Buster Discounts throughout the weekend
- Raffle prizes and giveaways
- Free refreshments, while supplies last
“Casting for a Cause” Charity Night will be held on Thursday, December 9 from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. at the store. Tickets are available for $10 through the following local charities: Suncoast Charities for Children, the Snook Foundation, the Sarasota Yacht Club (SYC) Charitable Foundation, MOTE Marine Laboratory, Sarasota Youth Sailing Program (SYSP), Englewood Sailing Association, Sarasota Bay Watch and the Sarasota Power Squadron. All of the proceeds will directly support these local charities. Attendees will enjoy food, drinks and live entertainment, courtesy of West Marine.
About the Flagship Store
- It’s the biggest West Marine Store in Southwest Florida – At over 21,000 square feet it’s the largest West Marine Store in Southwest Florida, stocked with products to meet the needs of the Sun Coast customers.
- You Want It…We’ve Got It – The Sarasota Flagship Store specializes in fishing and has a vast selection of rods, reels and fishing gear for in-shore and offshore anglers. Featuring a comprehensive marine electronics display, there are over 100 live units to touch and test. Plus, a huge selection of engine parts, inflatable boats and motors, and expanded apparel, shoes and sunglass selection including Calcutta, Guy Harvey, Pelagic, Ray-Ban and Maui Jim.
- Port Supply for Boating Businesses – This regional hub offers the timely delivery of a broad selection of marine accessories and products at attractive pricing to keep Suncoast- area boating businesses cruising.
- Bringing jobs to the Sarasota Community – The Sarasota West Marine Store will provide approximately 45 new jobs to the area. West Marine employs approximately 900 Associates throughout the State of Florida.
The new flagship store boasts an exceptionally qualified staff that has a combined total of 673 years of boating, fishing, and sailing experience. From boating to kayaking to fishing, the Sarasota Associates have cruised enough miles to circumnavigate the globe four times! “After several years of boating experience on the three U.S. Coasts (Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf,) graduating from the Annapolis sailing school, and with my membership in the Sarasota Yacht Club-- it is a privilege to apply my boating expertise to the new Sarasota Flagship Store,” said West Marine General Manager, Wayne Seel. “We’ve assembled an expert team of Associates - all accomplished boaters that are excited to dive into this new opportunity by bringing Sarasota boaters closer to their passion.”
ABOUT WEST MARINE
West Marine, the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has more than 325 company-owned stores located in 38 states, Puerto Rico and Canada and three franchised stores located in Turkey. Our call center and Internet channels offer Customers over 60,000 products plus the convenience of exchanging catalog and Internet purchases at our Store locations. Our Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine's products and store locations, or to start shopping, visit westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464).