Watsonville, CA (July 09, 2013)
West Marine will be opening its newest Flagship Store July 18th at Jantzen Beach Center in Portland, Oregon. At 25,000 square feet it will be the largest West Marine location in the northwest, more than doubling the size of its current Portland location at Delta Park. Citing diverse and broad boating interests, expanding sportfishing opportunity on the Columbia River and anticipated growth in local boating, West Marine is initiating this significant expansion and has planned a multi-day grand opening event at the new store, July 18th – 21st.
The new Flagship Store will feature a full selection of boating equipment for motorized and non-motorized water-lovers including nearly a hundred different marine electronics touch and test; fishing and boating apparel; fishing equipment tailored to local fisheries; outboard motors; safety equipment; a full engine parts counter; 7 day a week access; the area’s most extensive assortment of maintenance supplies, trailer accessories and sailboat hardware; kayaks and paddling equipment; and West Marine’s “no hassle” return policy.
Great boating and fishing-related giveaways are planned throughout the day, every day of the Grand Opening event from July 18th 21st. The store opens at 8AM and closes at 9PM.
- Raymarine’s mobile showroom will be on-site throughout the Grand Opening
- Receive expert instruction on Garmin, Humminbird, Navico and Icom electronics
- Schooner Creek and Pettit Paints will be hosting a demonstration of the world’s first, copper-free, dual biocide, water-based ablative anti-fouling paint.
- Representatives from Lehr Outboards, the first propane powered outboard will be on deck to demonstrate this revolutionary engine
- Stevens Marine will have several boats on display in the parking lot
Saturday, July 20
11a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Cody Herman, the host of Comcast’s Outdoor GPS will be available to discuss Buoy 10, local summer steelhead and bass fishing
1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- Northwest fishing legend, Buzz Ramsey, will be on-hand to answer your questions about local salmon and steelhead fishing and fisheries.
Sunday, July 21
11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Lance Fisher, host of KXL’s Northwest Outdoor Adventures
1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Captain Del Stephens, a.k.a. “Tuna Dog” local tuna fishing expert, tuna tournament fisherman and fishing professional will be sharing his tuna-catching tips and tricks
All of these fishing experts have extensive resumes and are at the top of the game right now. It’s a rare opportunity to spend one-on-one time with these accomplished fishermen.
Store Manager, Chris Kluever, has been with West Marine for twelve years and is an enthusiastic boater and angler. He has worked as a deckhand on charter boats and fished numerous tournaments throughout the northwest. Kluever takes great pride in putting West Marine customers first. “We surveyed our customers to make sure we have the right products for Portland-area water enthusiasts. We’re committed to giving them an outstanding customer experience each time they visit our store.
In addition to the new retail location, is a new Port Supply wholesale hub. Port Supply will service local boat dealers, maintenance and repair shops and boat builders in southwest Washington and throughout Oregon.
Between the two entities, the retail location and wholesale operation, dozens of new jobs will be created.
About West Marine
West Marine, Inc. is the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, with nearly 300 company-operated stores located in 38 states, Puerto Rico, Canada and five franchised stores located in Turkey. Founded in 1968 by a sailor, West Marine has grown to become a leading omni-channel retailer for boats and boaters – from power cruisers and sailors to anglers and paddle sports enthusiasts. West Marine also offers gear, apparel and footwear for anyone who enjoys recreational time on or around the water. The company's Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine, Inc. its products and store locations, visit westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464). West Marine's stock is traded on NASDAQ under the symbol WMAR..