West Marine Press Release
|A Weekend of Free, Family-Friendly Activities for Hampton Roads-Area Water Lovers at West Marine's Virginia Beach Flagship Store Thursday, September 12 - Sunday, September 15 - “Cruising for a Cause Charity Night” with Lewis McGehee, Radio Host Capt. Reese, Kids Boat Building, Marine Electronics Demos, Door Buster Deals and More.
Rubin Communications Group
Watsonville, CA (August 27, 2013)
West Marine (Nasdaq:WMAR), the country’s largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, will host a grand opening celebration for its new flagship store in Virginia Beach on Thursday, September 12 through Sunday, September 15. There will be a host of activities for boaters, anglers, sailors, paddlers and water enthusiasts of all ages at the 23,000 square foot store in the Loehmann’s Plaza Shopping Center at 4000 Virginia Beach Boulevard.
“Cruising for a Cause Charity Night” on Thursday, September 12 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. will raise funds for local marine-based nonprofits. Entertainment will be provided by Hampton Roads’ favorite, Lewis McGehee and guests will enjoy food provided by Reginella’s Restaurant. Tickets are $10 and available at the door or through the following local charities: Great Bridge Fisherman’s Association, Catchin’ for the Kids, BoatU.S. Foundation, Virginia Beach Anglers Club, Portsmouth Anglers, Norfolk Anglers and Wish-a-Fish Foundation. The evening will include a live auction for several fishing trips with top anglers, door buster deals and raffles.
Doors open at 8 a.m. each day and the Grand Opening celebration includes:
- Raymarine’s mobile showroom with the latest in high tech electronics
- Expert advice from Simrad, Garmin, Humminbird, FLIR, Navico and Lowrance
- Door buster deals, giveaways and raffles
- BoatU.S. and VESSEL ASSIST Captains are on deck with special discounts
Thursday, September 12
6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- “Cruising for a Cause Charity Night” with Lewis McGehee to benefit local boating and fishing charities
- Ribbon Cutting with Mayor Will Sessions at 6 p.m.
- Live auction with radio host Capt. Reese at 7 p.m.
Friday, September 13
11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Turn Your Jet Ski into an Extreme Fishing Machine with Jet Ski
1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- Tips and Tricks on Kayak Fishing with Kayak Kevin
3 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Keep your family safe on the water with our safety experts. Kids’ life jacket fittings, inflatable life raft demonstrations and one lucky attendee will win a free Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)
Saturday, September 14
10 a.m. – 12 noon
- Virginia Beach Aquarium Stranding Response Team
1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Captain Herb Gordon, The Striper King, local charter captain and fishing expert on the best rigging and gear to catch stripers
1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- Kids’ life jacket fittings with the BoatU.S. Foundation
Sunday, September 15
12 noon – 2 p.m.
- Host of “Catchin’ with Captain Reese” fishing expert and radio icon Reese Bowles answers your questions on inshore and offshore fishing
- Kids’ boat building with wooden boat builder Tom Brandl
2 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Rip Tide, mascot of the Norfolk Tides minor league baseball team, will be on deck for autographs and photos
About the Flagship Store
West Marine surveyed Hampton Roads-area customers and built the Virginia Beach Store with their feedback in mind.
- Over 19,000 products in-store
- Nearly 100 marine electronics on display to touch and test
- An engine parts counter, open 7 days a week, staffed by specialists
- Great assortment of watersports products, including kayaks, stand-up paddleboards and accessories
- Expanded sailboat hardware assortment
- The “Bait Shack” boasts a broad selection of fishing rods, reels, lures, line winders and gear, specifically selected for the Hampton Roads area
- Casual and technical apparel, footwear and accessories for your coastal lifestyle
About West Marine
West Marine, Inc. is the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, with nearly 300 company-operated stores located in 38 states, Puerto Rico, Canada and five franchised stores located in Turkey. Founded in 1968 by a sailor, West Marine has grown to become a leading omni-channel retailer for boats and boaters – from power cruisers and sailors to anglers and paddle sports enthusiasts. West Marine also offers gear, apparel and footwear for anyone who enjoys recreational time on or around the water. The company's Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine, Inc. its products and store locations, visit westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464). West Marine's stock is traded on NASDAQ under the symbol WMAR..