Rino 650 combines a 5 W FRS/GMRS radio with a 2.6" glove-friendly color
touchscreen GPS packed full of powerful features like a barometric altimeter,
3-axis electronic compass and NOAA weather radio.
Pinpoint Your Position
With its high-sensitivity GPS receiver and quad helix antenna, Rino 650 quickly finds your position and maintains it – even in heavy cover. Plus, a built-in barometric altimeter and 3-axis compass make it easy to get your bearings without the need to hold it level.
See Your Surroundings
The device comes with a worldwide basemap with shaded relief, so you can navigate anywhere with ease. Adding more maps is easy with Garmin's wide array of detailed topographic, marine and road maps. With its microSD™ card slot, Rino 650 lets you load TOPO U.S. 24K maps and hit the trail or plug in BlueChart® g2 preloaded cards for a great day on the water. The device also supports BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (subscription required), that lets you download satellite images to your device and integrate them with your maps. In addition, Rino 650 is compatible with Custom Maps, free software that transforms paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your device.
Find Your Friends
Rino 650’s unique Position Reporting capability lets you send your exact location to other Rino users so they can see it on their map page. Plus, improved audio performance means it’s easy to communicate with any other conventional FRS/GMRS radio in the area. It can be useful in an emergency, or just a handy way to keep tabs on your hunting party, hiking partner, family or friends.
Stay in Touch
With plenty of transmit power, Rino 650 also lets you send unit-to-unit text messages to other Rino users in your area – it's ideal for loud or windy conditions, or just when you don't want to disturb the wildlife. It also lets you share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other compatible Garmin handheld devices.
View Weather Watches and Warnings
For added safety, Rino 650 features a built-in NOAA weather radio that can help you avoid hazardous weather. The radio supports Specific Area Message Encoding, which allows you to see National Weather Service warnings and watches displayed county-by-county on the map screen.
Plan Your Next Trip
Take charge of your next adventure with BaseCamp™, software that lets you view and organize maps, waypoints, routes, and tracks. This free trip-planning software even allows you to create Garmin Adventures that you can share with friends, family or fellow explorers. BaseCamp displays topographic map data in 2-D or 3-D on your computer screen, including contour lines and elevation profiles. It also can transfer an unlimited amount of satellite images to your device when paired with a BirdsEye Satellite Imagery subscription.
Turn Your Computer Into a Base Station
The all-new BaseStation lets you turn your laptop (loaded with BaseCamp) into a field command center for tracking multiple Rino units. View real-time GPS information on the larger display of your computer with Rino serving as a router/antenna. And because it’s Garmin GPS-based, safer, more effective search and rescue operations are in your control, even where Internet and cell phone service isn’t.
What's in the Box:
- Rino 650
- Lithium-ion battery pack
- USB cable
- AC charger
- Carabiner clip
Physical & Performance:
- Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.4" x 7.5" x 1.8" (6.0 x 19.0 x 4.5 cm)
- Display size, WxH: 1.43" x 2.15" (3.6 x 5.5 cm); 2.6" diag (6.6 cm)
- Display resolution, WxH: 160 x 240 pixels
- Display type: transflective, 65-K color TFT
- Weight: 11.3 oz (320 g) with battery pack
- Battery: removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack
- Battery life: 14 hours (up to 18 hours with optional AA battery pack)
- Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
- High-sensitivity receiver: yes
- Interface: high-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
Maps and Memory:
- Basemap: yes
- Preloaded maps: no
- Ability to add maps: yes
- Built-in memory: 1.7 GB
- Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)
- Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000
- Routes: 200
- Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks
Features and Benefits:
- Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes
- Electronic compass: yes (tilt-compensated, 3-axis)
- Barometric altimeter: yes
- Camera: no
- Picture viewer: yes
- Unit-to-unit transfer and ANT+™ compatible: yes
- Hunt/fish calendar: yes
- Sun and moon information: yes
- Area calculation: yes
- Frequency band: FRS and GMRS
- Channels: 22
- Squelch codes: 38 (CTCSS); 83 (DCS)
- Transmit power: 0.5 watts FRS, 2.0 watts GMRS (Canada), 5.0 watts, GMRS (US)
- Range: Up to 2 miles over FRS; up to 20 miles over GMRS (US); up to 13 km over GMRS (Canada)
- VOX (voice activation): yes
- Location reporting (send and receive GPS positions): yes
- Vibration alert: yes
- NOAA weather radio: yes
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.