Start out for your destination and leave the navigating to nüvi 40LM. It
features a 4.3" (10.92 cm) touchscreen and provides accurate, turn-by-turn
directions that speak street names. It also includes FREE lifetime map updates.
Get Turn-by-turn Directions
nüvi 40LM’s intuitive interface greets you with 2 simple choices: “Where To?” and “View Map.” Touch the screen to easily look up addresses and services and to be guided to your destination with voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions that speak street names. It comes in 2 mapping versions and has preloaded maps for the lower 48 states plus Hawaii and Puerto Rico, or full coverage of the U.S. and Canada. nüvi 40LM’s speed limit indicator shows you how fast you can go on most major roads. With its “Where Am I?” emergency locator, you always know your location. It also comes preloaded with more than 5 million points of interest (POIs) and offers the ability to add your own.
Enjoy FREE Lifetime Map Updates
With FREE lifetime map¹ updates, you always have the most up-to-date maps, POIs and navigation information available at your fingertips. Map updates are available for download up to 4 times a year with no subscription or update fees and no expiration dates.
Know the Lane Before It’s Too Late
Now there’s no more guessing which lane you need to be in to make an upcoming turn. Available in select metropolitan areas, lane assist with junction view guides you to the correct lane for an approaching turn or exit, making unfamiliar intersections and exits easy to navigate. It realistically displays road signs and junctions on your route along with arrows that indicate the proper lane for navigation.
¹If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for 1 compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic map data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product.
What's in the Box:
- nüvi 40LM
- One of the preloaded mapping options below (see versions tab):
- City Navigator® NT data with preloaded street maps of the lower 48 states, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Bahamas, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Barthélemy and Jamaica
- City Navigator® NT data with preloaded street maps for the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Bahamas, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Barthélemy and Jamaica
- Lifetime maps¹ (indicated by “LM” after model number on the box)
- Vehicle suction cup mount²
- Vehicle power cable
- USB cable
- Quick start manual
Physical & Performance
- Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.9"W x 3.1"H x .7"D (12.4 x 7.9 x 1.8 cm)
- Display size, WxH: 3.8"W x 2.3"H (9.7 x 5.8 cm); 4.3" diag (10.9 cm)
- Display resolution, WxH: 480 x 272 pixels
- Display type: WQVGA color TFT with white backlight
- Weight: 5.2 ounces (148.0 g)
- Battery: rechargeable lithium-ion
- Battery life: up to 2 hours
- Headphone jack/audio line-out: no
- High-sensitivity receiver: yes
- Waterproof: no
Maps and Memory
- Preloaded street maps: yes
- Includes lifetime map updates: yes
- nüMaps Guarantee: yes
- 3-D terrain view: no
- 3-D buildings and landmarks view: no
- Built-in memory: internal solid state
- Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)
- Waypoints/favorites/locations: 1000
- Routes: 0
Features and Benefits
- Drive stress-free. Save time and money.
- Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft."): yes (internal speaker)
- Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft."): yes
- Voice-activated navigation (operate device with spoken commands): no
- Traffic compatible (routes around traffic with a receiver and subscription): no
- Lifetime traffic updates (receive free lifetime traffic updates): no
- Lane assist (guides to proper lane for navigation): yes
- Junction view (displays junction signs): yes
- myTrends™ (predicts your routes): no
- trafficTrends™ (calculates routes based on predicted traffic flow): no
- ecoRoute™ (calculates a more fuel-efficient route): no
- Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route): no
- Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.): yes
- Garmin nüLink! services: (receive accurate real-time travel
XM® compatible for U.S: no
- Navigate safely and easily.
- Bluetooth® wireless technology: no
- Speed limit indicator (displays speed limit for most major roads in the U.S. and Europe): yes
- Where Am I? (find closest hospitals, police & gas stations, nearest address & intersection): yes
- Enhanced pedestrian navigation (guides you as you walk around town): no
- Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): no
- Exit services (tells you approaching services on highway): no
- Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes
- Garmin Lock™ (anti-theft feature): no
- Enjoy the drive and customize.
- Garmin Garage™ vehicles compatible (download car-shaped icons to your device): yes
- Garmin Garage™ voices compatible (download custom voices to your device): yes
- MP3 player: no
- Audio book player: no
- Trip Planner: no
- Trip Log: yes
- This USB mass storage device is compatible with Windows® XP or newer and Mac® OS X 10.4 or later.
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.