Maretron’s Black Box (MBB100) is a dedicated processing unit that comes preloaded with Maretron’s N2KView ® vessel monitoring and control software. Unlike a PC that allows any software to be loaded, the MBB100 runs only N2KView ® software making it extremely stable and dedicated to monitoring and controlling your vessel.
The MBB100 is ruggedized for marine use and includes a solid state disk drive to withstand the pounding associated with waves. And since the MBB100 dissipates less than 20 watts, there is no need for internal cooling fans that are noisy and wear out causing electronics to overheat and fail.
The MBB100 connects to a monitor through a VGA connector and associated touch screen through a USB or serial port connection. Alternatives to controlling the N2KView ® software through a touch screen include keyboards, mice, or track balls connected through USB. The MBB100 has an Ethernet port for communicating with an NMEA 2000 ® network through Maretron’s Internet Protocol Gateway (IPG100). Although the MBB100 comes pre-installed with the N2KView ® software, a separately purchased license plugged into the IPG100 is required (see IPG100 on page 32 for more details). The Ethernet port is also used for connecting Internet Protocol (IP) cameras for viewing within the N2KView ® software.
Of course you get the same flexibility using Maretron’s N2KView ® software from the MBB100 as you would running the software on a PC, which includes the ability to configure as many screens as you want with exactly the information you want to see. Plus you get free upgrades to the software as improvements and new features are added.
- Video Connector: 1 VGA Port (RGB or D-sub 15)
- USB Connector: 4 USB 2.0 connections
- Serial Connector: 1 RS232 9-pin D connector
- Ethernet Connector: 2 GbE
- Audio Connection: 1 speaker output
- Operating voltage: 9 - 3 Volts
- Power Consumptions (maximum): 19 Watts
- 5.19" x 9.02" x 2.52" (132mm x 229mm x 64mm)
- Weight: 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg)
- Chassis Material: Aluminum
- Mounting: Vesa 100 or DIN
- Operating Temperature: -10°C to 60°C
- Operating Shock: Half-sine wave shock 3G; 11 ms; 3 shocks per axis
- Vibration: MIL-STD-810F 514.5C-2
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.