Commercial grade with alpha-numeric keypad and 30W PA/hailer with Listenback
- Bluetooth Headset capable
- 30 Watt PA/Loud Hailer with preprogrammed fog signals and listen back
- Bass and Treble tone control
- IUT-R M493-12 VHF with commercial grade 80dB receiver
- Full dot matrix LCD display
- Submersible JIS-7 / IPX7 (3.3 feet for 30 minutes)
- Independent Channel 70 receiver built-in for continuous DSC watch
- LAT/LON, SOG and COG shown on display when connected to GPS
- Removable ClearVoice noise canceling speaker mic with channel selection and 16/9 key
- Front panel speaker microphone can be relocated to rear panel using optional MEK-4
- Versatile user-programmable scanning, priority scan and Dual Watch
- Voice Scrambler (optional)
- One-button access to Channel 16 and 9
- Large rotary knobs, and oversized display
- Capable of connecting to RAM3 or VH-310 second station optional Remote Access Mic
- Intercom between radio and second station microphone
- Overall Dimensions: 3.5"H x 9.1"W x 5.9"D
- Flush Mount Cutout: 2.8"H x 8.1"W
- 3-Year Waterproof Warranty
Optional Bluetooth® wireless headset Kit (BTK-2) with PTT or VOX
With the optional BTK-2 kit (includes BH-2 headset, BU-1 Bluetooth unit and CAB-2 charger) the GX5500S becomes hands free and can be used up to 30 Feet away.
The keypad allows quick access to most often used functions, input of DSC names, manual entering of GPS position and direct entry of channels.
Class D Digital Selective Calling
The GX5500S meets the requirements for Class D with a separate Channel 70 receiver, which allows DSC calls to be received even when listening to traffic on Marine VHF channels.
The DSC DISTRESS function when activated transmits a digital MAYDAY including vessel identification, Latitude / Longitude and time (with GPS connected), to facilitate prompt response. Additional calls that can be made are Individual, Urgency and Safety.
Commercial grade 80dB receiver
Advanced receiver technology rejects the reception of unwanted signals from pagers and other unwanted VHF frequencies.
Audio tone control
This unique feature allows the treble and bass of the speaker audio to be adjusted for best listening. The effect is similar to adjusting the treble and bass controls on a stereo.
Oversized knobs and scanning
Radio operation and channel selection is made easy (even with gloves) with the oversized volume, squelch and channel selector knobs.
The GX5500S has Dual Watch, which scans a selected channel and ch16 simultaneously allowing you to monitor a channel and not miss calls made on ch16. Scan and Priority Scan features are user programmable.
30W PA and Fog signaling
The GX5500S includes a 30W Loud Hailer with Fog signals; Bells and Whistles with listen back. For added benefit, the last selected VHF channel is can be heard when in the PA or Fog mode.
Front or rear panel remote speaker mic capable
The standard hand microphone has a built in speaker and uses Noise canceling technology called ClearVoice for unsurpassed communications even in the noisiest environments. This microphone also has the capability to directly switch between channels 16 and 9, change channels with the large UP/Down keys and can be removed for storage.
The microphone may be remote to the rear panel with the MEK-4 extension kit for custom installations. The MEK-4 contains 20Ft or routing cable, Stainless Steel panel mount and screws.
Dual RAM3 or VH-310 Remote Station microphone inputs
All of the features of the main radio can be accessed through the optional RAM3 speaker microphone (CMP30) or VH-310 telephone style handset (2 connections)
With a RAM3 or VH-310 connected, the GX5500S becomes an intercom system allowing two way private communications.
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Cleanest Reception
- Clear Signal
- Easy install
- Easy To Use
- Good Audio
- Great with add on Mic
- None So Far
Comments about Quantum GX5500S Fixed Mount VHF:
I replaced an older Standard Horizon basically because I needed to replace the Ram Mic and I also wanted access to all of the functions from the cockpit mic.
- Primary use: