This flagship marine navigator is missing only one thing - buttons. The GPSMAP 5008 features an unprecedented touchscreen interface, along with a satellite-enhanced worldwide basemap and an 8.4" (21.3 cm) screen that makes navigation as easy as pointing your finger. By connecting to the Garmin Marine Network, you can add sonar and radar. For even more advanced features, you can add the optional BlueChart® g2 Vision® card.
View Detailed Graphics and Video
The GPSMAP 5008 features a worldwide basemap with high-quality satellite images in place of more traditional maps. For even more detail, you can add maps easily with the SD™ card slot without having to connect to a computer. To keep tabs on your engine room or other area of your vessel, you can connect a live video feed with the 5008's video input/output options.
Add Extras with BlueChart g2 Vision
With the optional BlueChart g2 Vision SD card, you can add a whole new dimension of exceptional features to your chartplotter.
- MarinerEye view and FishEye view provide you a 3-D perspective of map information, both above and below the waterline.
- High-resolution satellite images and aerial photographs help you orient yourself in unfamiliar areas.
- Auto Guidance technology searches through all relevant charts to create a route you actually can follow - one that avoids obstacles, shallow water, buoys and other obstructions.
Connect to the Garmin Marine Network
The 5008 connects easily to the high-speed Garmin Marine Network, so you can interface with additional MFDs and add remote sensors. Once connected, you can share information between the 5008 and other chartplotters on your boat. You also can add high-powered radar, sonar, and XM satellite weather and radio to your system.
Physical & Performance:
- Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 10.1" x 6.8" x 4.2" (25.7 x 17.3 x 10.7 cm)
- Display size, WxH: 6.8" x 5.1", 8.4" diagonal (17.1 x 13 cm, 21.3 cm diagonal)
- Display resolution, WxH: 640 x 480 pixels
- Display type: Touchscreen VGA display
- Weight: 6.0 lb (2.72 kg)
- Battery: none
- Battery life: none
- Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
- High-sensitivity receiver: yes
- Antenna: external
- NMEA input/output: NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000
Maps & Memory:
- Basemap: yes
- Preloaded maps: no
- Ability to add maps: yes
- Built-in memory: none (cannot load maps to internal memory)
- Accepts data cards: SD™ card slot (BlueChart g2 Vision cards sold separately)
- Waypoints/favorites/locations: 1,500
- Routes: 20
- Track log: 10,000 points; 20 saved tracks
- Garmin radar compatible: yes
- Garmin sonar compatible: yes
- Garmin Marine Network™ compatible: yes
- Touchscreen: yes
- Supports AIS (tracks target ships' position): yes
- Supports DSC (displays position data from DSC capable VHF radio): yes
- Audible alarms: yes
- Tide tables: yes
- Hunt/fish calendar: no
- Sun and moon information: yes
- 3-D map view: yes (with optional BlueChart g2 Vision card)
- Auto Guidance: yes (with optional BlueChart g2 Vision card)
- XM WX Weather & Radio for U.S. & Canada compatible: yes
- Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): no
- Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft."): no
- Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft."): no
- Headphone jack/audio line-out: no
- Audio/video input/output: yes
- Portable: no
- Automotive/motorcycle-friendly: no
- Additional: Interface Inputs/Outputs: 4 NMEA 0183 inputs, 2 NMEA 0183 outputs; 2 video inputs for onboard cameras, 1 PC monitor video output
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.