Multipurpose, two-part epoxy primer for use above or below the waterline. Good enamel holdout, sands freely but does not sand through easily, and provides an excellent base for all topside finishes. Resurfaces cracked gel coat prior to application of enamel.
- Recommended Usage: Above water, primer for Perfection two-part, sanding surfacer for cracked/crazed gelcoat
- Formulation: Multi-purpose two-part epoxy primer
- Drying Time: To touch: 1 to 3 hrs.; To overcoat: 6 to 12 hrs.
- Number of Coats Recommended: Above waterline:1 or 2 coats; Below waterline: 5 or 6 coats
- Thinner: Brush: 2333N - Model 198606; Spray: 2316N - Model 198598
- Coverage: Brush: 112sq.ft/qt, 450sq.ft/gal; Spray: 93sq.ft/qt, 375sq.ft/gal.
- Color: White
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy to Sand
- Easy to Use
- Protects Well
- Weather Proof
- Fairing Base For Gloss
Comments about 404/414 Epoxy Primekote:
I have build a lot of custom rudders, blades, keels and all kinds of carbon/Kevlar/fiberglass parts that require painting once finished and I have used this for many years. It is very forgiving to spray and easy to sand, especially if you sand it the next day before it completely hardens. It is an excellent product and done right, can make a perfect mirror surface. I keep a gallon or two on hand all the time since I use it so much. Spray it over putty, wood, fiberglass and all of the difficult to fair transition areas, sand with longboards and it will achieve a perfect surface but do not expect it in a single coat! No product I have used will do that, but in general, I figure 3 coats for a normal rudder finished with 80 grit, maybe 4 coats for a really rough surface. It really hangs well when wet but you CAN make it run and sag! Just give it a bit of a lighter coat and let the solvent flash off for a few minutes and you can spray all day with it. It is "liquid putty" you can spray.