The Gen II offers exclusive features that make it the premier shaft seal on the market. The culmination of more than a quarter century of experience in shaft seal design, the Gen II offers a unique ball-bearing drive system that allows the seal ring to "float" and remain in constant contact with the carbon graphite seal surface. The result is a seal that's impenetrable to water.
The Gen II uses a 316-marine grade stainless steel spring to provide pressure to the seal surfaces. Together, the spring and seal ring rotate along with the shaft, and remain secured in the Clamp/Pressure housing. Because there's virtually no metal-to-metal contact, you eliminate the risk of electrolysis.
The Gen II is available for shaft sizes 1" - 4," accommodating stern tube sizes of up to 8" OD.
- The Friction Ring assembly is mounted with a rigid connection hose and uses a carbon graphite sealing surface all encased by a durable copolymer housing.
- Built into the friction ring assembly is a cutlass bearing to ensure proper and constant alignment to the shaft.
- The Clamp/Pressure Assembly secures the assembly around the shaft, preventing the galling or damage to the shaft that can occur with setscrews.
- The 316 stainless steel seal ring floats on a ball bearing drive system, maintaining complete contact with the carbon graphite seal surface.
- Solid brass hose barbs.
- AWAB hose clamps are 316 stainless steel, manufactured with indentations rather than perforations, providing twice the tensile strength and eliminating friction as in regular clamps.
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.