MX Series Reels are precision machined 6061 T-6 marine grade aluminum and stainless steel components. Anodized for superior corrosion resistance and beautiful finish. Made of a true in one piece frame for the ultimate in strength vs. weight.
- Powerful lever drag system with adjustable strike pre-set
- Precision machined stainless steel gears
- Patented, indestructible, silent dog and gear anti-reverse system
- Reliable Avedrag dry carbon fiber drags for superior stopping power, smoothness and wear resistance
- Up to 9 lbs. of drag at strike, 14 lbs. full, while maintaining full free spool
- 8 sealed stainless steel ball bearings
- Alarm clicker
- Offset machined handle arm to reduce centerline profile and cranking wobble
- Large comfortable soft touch handle knob
- Specially designed rod mounting foot to fit most graphite trigger seats as well as standard rod seats
- Matching machined aluminum rod clamp
- Proudly made in the U.S.A.
Avet casting reels (SX - HX) are grouped in "families" or "series" by size, more specifically by diameter, with the SX Series being the smallest, and the HX Series the largest. Within each series, there are different options and variations:
- Spool width ("J" or "jig" denotes a narrow spool, and "L" or "large" is a standard width spool, and "W" is a "wide" spool)
- Different retrieve speeds, (numbers with "." denote single speed gears while numbers with "/" denote 2-speed gears. Example: SX 5.3 = single speed, SX 6/4 = 2-speed)
- Increased drag output (Raptors) and magnetic anti-backlash cast control (M.C. Cast) are also options within a series
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy Casting
- Smooth Drag System
- Smooth Reeling
- Ocean Fishing
- Shore Casting
Comments about MXL5 / MXJ5 Single Speed Models:
Beautiful reels, 5 star - but, unlike the description, these are NOT reels with "New cast control system only available from Avet Reels (prevention of backlash and as an line out adjustment for live bait fishing)". That only comes on "MC" models. West Marine should take that out of the description for the non-MC models. The MC is worth the extra $50, for those of us without an "educated thumb", or the confidence in after market "magging" of the reels.
Service and delivery comments:
The description was wrong. I should'a noticed it didn't have the MC in the Model Number, I noticed this within hours of ordering - called customer service and was told I COULDN'T CANCEL THE ORDER! Called to get a Return Authorization. Customer Service sent me an email that did nothing but give me the Returns Address. The reels shipped from AVET, right down the road from me, but the returns go to South Carolina. I HAD TO PAY TO SEND THE REELS BACK! A Buyer Beware arrangement and, yeah, I should've noticed the lack of the MC designator.