Geocaching-friendly handheld GPS with wireless data sharing, compass & altimeter
Garmin has updated the popular GPSMAP 76 with the new GPSMAP 78 Series, powerful marine handheld units that now feature color mapping, a high-sensitivity GPS receiver and a built-in MicroSD card slot for loading additional maps. A whopping 1.7GB of built-in memory provides cutting-edge performance, and you can also add maps from Garmin’s wide array of detailed marine BlueChart g2, topographic and City Navigator road maps. Plus, the 78 Series supports BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, and is compatible with Custom Maps, free software that transforms paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your device.
Like earlier generations, these new handhelds feature the same soft-key interface but with a sleek easy-to-hold design with rubber side grips. The “s” models also add a three-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass, which shows your heading even when you're standing still. Each unit features a worldwide basemap, and the 78Cs comes with built-in BlueChart® g2 coastal charts for the U.S. And with the 78 Series, you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other compatible devices. So whether you're kayaking, fishing or just cruising around, the 78 Series has everything a mariner needs. They’re completely submersible and float if dropped overboard.
- Display Type: Transflective 65K color TFT
- Screen Size: 2.6"diag.
- Screen Resolution: 160 x 240
- Cartography: BlueChart® g2 preloaded cards, City Navigator NT®; Supports BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (subscription required); Compatible with Custom Maps
- Receiver Type: High-sensitivity
- Battery Type: 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended
- Battery Life: 20 hours
- Dimensions: 2.6"W x 6.0"H x 1.2"D
- Weight: 7.7 oz.
- Waterproof: Rated IPX7 Submersible, and it floats
- Interfacing: High-speed USB and NMEA 0183. Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data). Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units)
- Included Equipment: Wrist strap, USB cable, manual
- Warranty: One year
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Ability to customize view
- Easy To Read
- Intuitive Menu
- Quick Signal
- Reliable Reception
- Bottons on top
- Difficult To Set Up
- At Night
- Bad Weather
- Great for sailing
- MOB function is worth it
- Small Boats
Comments about GPSMAP 78s Handheld GPS with Compass and Barometer:
I should have purchased the CDs instead of the downloads, took several trys and Garmin Support to accomplish. Very happy with the product, color does make a difference. The fact that it is waterproof makes is more usable when weather turns foul.