You’ve seen “made for angling” sunglasses before, but if you take a close look at their technology, something smells fishy. They probably give you a lens color that nudges up contrast, along with some bold claims about landing the big one. Don’t take the bait. Oakley puts real technology in their Fishing Specific eyewear. Some say it’s overkill. The pros say it’s essential gear.
For starters, High-Definition Optics® (HDO®) gives you unbeatable clarity and precise, accurate vision. The lenses are optimized with a Hydrophobic™ coating that prevents water sheens from corrupting your point of view. The permanent coating also maintains a smudge-resistant barrier against skin oils, lotions and sunscreens, and it even repels dust. But the real eye-opener is how much innovation they’ve poured into the optics.
Oakley polarization eliminates the blinding rays of glare with greater than 99% efficiency, and the manufacturing technique eliminates the haze and visual distortion that comes with ordinary polarized lenses. Three lens options are available, and all of them boost contrast and depth perception so you’ll have a more accurate view of the trophy pursuing your lure. All are made of Plutonite® to filter out 100% of all UV. The choice comes down to the type of fishing and the specific environment.
- Durability and all-day comfort of lightweight, stress-resistant O MATTER® frame material
- Comfort and performance of three-point fit that holds lenses in precise optical alignment
- Optical precision and impact resistance meet ANSI Z87.1 optical and basic impact standards
- UV protection of Plutonite lens material that filters out 100% of UVA / UVB / UVC and harmful blue light up to 400 nm
- Includes Oakley’s proprietary smudge proof Hydrophobic coating which resists water, oils perspiration and dust
- Patented hydrophilic Unobtanium® earsocks and nosepads ensure a snug, secure fit, and increase grip with perspiration
- Metal icon accents
- Designed for medium faces
- Glare reduction and tuned light transmission of Iridium® lens coating
- Available with Oakley prescription lenses (+2.00 through –4.00 combined power)
The West Advisor
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.