West Marine Announces Recipients of Fall 2017 BlueFuture Grants
This month, the world’s premier Waterlife Outfitter awards $1,500 grants to 25 nonprofit organizations dedicated to youth Waterlife adventure, education and stewardship
Watsonville, CA, Dec 11, 2017 - West Marine has announced the names of the 25 nonprofit organizations that will receive fall 2017 BlueFuture grants. Unrestricted support in the amount of $1,500 will be provided to the winners, all community-based organizations that are dedicated to getting young people on and around the water in recreational and educational capacities.
“No one understands the needs of a community better than those who live and work there, particularly when it comes to serving at-risk youth and improving youth access to the water,” says Laura Barry, West Marine’s Director of Communications. “We want to serve as a valued partner for these organizations as they seek to make a real difference in children’s lives through Waterlife adventure, education and stewardship.”
Barry also notes that word seems to be spreading about the BlueFuture initiative. West Marine received more than 300 applications for grant funding in 2017.
“Applications are coming from all over the country which is thrilling,” Barry says. “It means that BlueFuture’s message is resonating with the organizations we’re trying to reach. It also demonstrates that you can have access to the water no matter where you live. If there’s a lake or a river, you can have a Waterlife.”
The Fall 2017 BlueFuture grant recipients are:
- Adaptive Expeditions, Charleston, S.C.
- Box of Rain Foundation, Annapolis, Md.
- The Center for Wooden Boats, Seattle, Wash.
- Chicago Training Center, Chicago, Ill.
- Children’s Fishing Clinic, Newport News, Va.
- Clear Lake Boy Scout Canoe Co-op, Houston, Texas
- Clinton Sailing Club, Clinton, Conn.
- Coastal Watershed Council, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Community Boating Center, New Bedford, Mass.
- Fountainebleau Jr. High Fishing Club, Mandeville, La.
- Friends of the Museum, NCMM Inc., Beaufort, N.C.
- Gulfport Youth Sailing, Inc., Gulfport, Fla.
- Loggerhead Marinelife Center, Juno Beach, Fla.
- Marine Life Studies, Moss Landing, Calif.
- Marion County 4-H Association, Ocala, Fla.
- Michigan Crossroads Council, Boy Scouts of America, Lansing, Mich.
- Mountains 2 Sea, Corralitos, Calif.
- New England Science & Sailing Foundation, Stonington, Conn.
- North Coast Community Sailing, Bayfield, Wis.
- O’Neill Sea Odyssey, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- SailMaine, Portland, Maine
- Shark Stewards, Berkeley, Calif.
- Special Olympics Florida (Broward County) Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- Team Paradise Sailing, Miami, Fla.
- U.S. Sailing Center of Martin County, Inc., Jensen Beach, Fla.
- Venice Youth Boating Association, Venice, Fla.
“We congratulate our 25 grant winners, and we extend our heartfelt thanks to all the nonprofit organizations who applied for a fall 2017 BlueFuture grant,” Barry says. “We wish them all the best and hope they will reapply when our spring 2018 grant cycle opens April 1.”
The names and photos of 2017 fall grant recipients and links to their websites will be posted on westmarine.com/BlueFuture, under the “Grant Recipients” tab, in the coming weeks.
West Marine’s BlueFuture program distributes tens of thousands of dollars annually through its spring and fall BlueFuture grants, allowing community-based groups to provide scholarships, purchase new equipment, support programs and staff, and so much more. It’s a donor-advised fund through the Community Foundation of Santa Cruz, and all donations are fully tax-deductible.
To grow the fund, the West Marine conducts three signature in-store fundraisers: National Safe Boating Week in May; World Oceans Day in June; and the Month of Giving, which runs from Dec. 1-31, both in West Marine stores across the country and online at westmarine.com.
To learn more about how you can help, and to make an online donation, visit westmarine.com/BlueFuture.
About West Marine
Each person has a unique connection to the water. At West Marine (westmarine.com, NASDAQ: WMAR), our knowledge, enthusiasm and products prepare Waterlife adventurers to foster that connection and explore their passions. With 250 stores located in 38 states and Puerto Rico and an eCommerce website reaching domestic, international and professional customers, West Marine is recognized as a leading Waterlife Outfitter for cruisers, sailors, anglers and paddlesports enthusiasts. Since first opening our doors in 1968, West Marine associates continue to share the same love for the water as our customers and provide helpful advice on the gear and gadgets they need to be safe and have fun.
About Monomoy Capital Partners
Monomoy Capital Partners is a private equity firm with $1.5 billion in committed capital. Through its three fund vehicles, Monomoy makes controlling investments in lower middle market businesses in the manufacturing, distribution, consumer products and foodservice sectors. Over the past eleven years, Monomoy has closed over 45 middle market acquisitions, and its companies have produced over $2.5 billion in combined sales and employed more than 5,000 associates across four continents. To learn more about Monomoy and its portfolio, please visit the firm’s website at www.mcpfunds.com