A storm jib that works with your roller-furled genoa still in place.
The safest and easiest way to hoist a storm jib in heavy conditions. Simply furl the genoa sheets down to the deck and yank the Gale Sail over the furled headsail, attach its sheets and hoist it with a spare halyard or the spinnaker halyard. The reinforced Dacron pouch easily slides up and down over the furled sail and prevents any accidental unfurling of the genoa.
Eliminates the need for a removable headstay. No need to unfurl, lower and pack the genoa to hoist the storm jib. The Gale Sail is a heavy-duty storm jib that can be flown either by itself, or in combination with the reefed mainsail or trysail. The Gale Sail is typically a 50% headsail, so when in doubt, go for the larger size.
- High visibility Safety Orange body
- Oversized piston hanks plus webbed grommets for easier hoisting
- The Gale Sail eliminates the need for a removable headstay
- The Gale Sail eliminates the dangerous job of unfurling, dropping and stowing away the furled working sail to free up the roller furler in windy conditions to hoist the conventional jib
- Since it is hoisted over the furled headsail, the Gale Sail prevents any dangerous accidental unfurling
- No alterations of the rig are needed; the Gale Sail is ready to be hoisted immediately
- The Gale Sail, since it is hoisted over the very stiff roller furled sail, has a great aerodynamic shape, much better than a conventional storm jib hanked on a removeable headstay, or a partially furled sail, which most of the time has not been designed or built for that purpose
- The Gale Sail slides up and down amazingly well because Dacron slides over itself very well
- Gale Sail can be hoisted with the spinnaker halyard or spare jib halyard
- Gale Sail requires less halyard tension than a conventional storm jib would need since its luff (pouch) is supported by the wide forward part of the roller furled sail
- Chafing is not a problem since the Gale Sail is riding on a large area
|Boat Length||33 to 38 Feet|
|Size||100 Square Feet|
|Boat Length||27 to 32 Feet|
|Size||60 Square Feet|
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Related West Advisor Articles
FREE DELIVERY to West Marine Stores
- Available for ALL products including hazardous & truck freight items.
- Ship to over 240 U.S. store locations.
- Contiguous United States orders arrive in 7 - 10 days.
- Hawaii and Alaska orders arrive in 10 - 16 days.
- Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee.
- Not available in Puerto Rico.
FREE SHIPPING on Orders over $49.00
- Applicable on orders over $49.00 within the 48 contiguous United States.
- Does not apply to Truck Freight.
- No coupon code required.
- Orders will be delivered within 3 - 7 business days.
We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your West Marine purchase does not meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. If you are a West Advantage Rewards member, you don't even need a receipt - we'll have a record of your purchase. Returns can be made via mail or in person at their nearest store location. If you are not a West Advantage Rewards member, we will first need to verify your purchase by receipt or other method.
We do carry a few items that cannot be returned. This includes: items with expiration dates that have expired such as flares, charts, annual publications; items registered to the user such as boats, motors, EPIRBs, PLBs, SPOT, Class B AIS, life rafts; customized items such as rigging, and boat covers, computer software and electronics charts. Other non-returnable items include carry-on air conditioners, generators and select electronics. We will help you contact the vendor for assistance or repair on product that cannot be returned to West Marine. Items containing hazardous material may only be returned to a West Marine store.
For additional inquiries, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-BOATING (262-8464).