Anybody can get a sail up; it takes a sailor to get it down.
This statement is particularly true regarding the spinnaker. Hoisting the sail is not a problem. Getting it back on the boat is. That's how the ATN Spinnaker Sleeve makes the average sailboat owner a great sailor.
Douse your spinnaker without drama: Without any help, the ATN Spinnaker Sleeve makes this very powerful and expensive sail disappear with a minimum of fuss and trauma. And the sail is ready to be hoisted again immediately, with no more repacking needed.
Proven in the world's toughest offshore shorthanded racing: ATN Spinnaker Sleeves have been widely used in the Vendee Globe, Singlehanded Transpac and other solo and doublehanded races.
Know your hoist measurement: To order an ATN Spinnaker Sleeve, you will need to know how high the sail can be hoisted (known as the "I" measurement). Your Spinnaker Sleeve will be made to the right measurement for your boat. For more information on how to order, contact West Marine Rigging.
- Made to order, sold by the linear foot with a 5' minimum, and sized depending on your boat's "I" measurement, the total hoist of the sail
- Singlehand any spinnaker, reacher, gennaker, MPS, screecher or mizzen staysail up to 15,000 sq. ft.
- Used on boats as large as a 156' megayacht sloop, Frers/Huisman Hyperion
- High-tech, ultralight oval carbon/Kevlar funnel matches the shape of the spinnaker and will not warp under load; it's rigid, so it remains open and slippery so the sail slides over it
- Single control line, in an endless loop, is led through separate sleeve from the sail, so they can't foul each other
- The control line is made of two different lines; One side is to hoist the sleeve, and it does not kink and is small enough to travel in the side sleeve and through the top turning block. The other side is much heavier as it is handled by the operator to douse the sail; It also will not kink and is long enough to be lead through a snatch block on the foredeck and then to a cleat or a winch
- There's a contrasting visual reference stripe, so you can make sure the sleeve is not twisted before deploying the sail
- A wire rod pennant with swivel at head of spinnaker prevents sleeve from affecting sail shape by allowing the sleeve to accumulate on the pennant; It just scrunches up there
- Mesh construction allows sail to breathe and keeps bright colored fabric from bleeding, so that sails dry quicker, even while stored
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.