Mini “Add-A-Battery” System
UL 1500 and SAE J1171 External Ignition Protection
IP67 for Immersion
|Mounting Hardware||Mounting Screws (Sold Separately)|
Adding a second battery to support your new electronics or trolling motor? Charge it and use it as an emergency backup with a Mini Add-A-Battery system. For systems up to 65 amps.
If you are adding a second battery to support a larger stereo, a trolling motor or a new fishfinder, this is an essential part of the installation. The Blue Sea System “Mini” Add-A-Battery™ kit packages a switch and an automatic charging relay (ACR) to help protect and maintain the additions to your boat. Both components are designed for the marine environment. The kit allows you to charge your new and existing battery from a single charging source; often your engine. It also helps to keep the two power sources separate so that you are only drawing power from the battery you want to. That is until one battery can no longer supply power. The included battery switch provides an emergency combine feature that can get you out of a jam.
The automatic charging relay, a Blue Sea Systems 7601, performs several tasks. It combines the two batteries while charging, and isolates the house battery to protect sensitive electronics while starting the engine. The ACR will share the charging source more efficiently than a battery isolator—without creating a voltage drop—and will not require additional wiring or an external regulator; installation is straightforward. Because the ACR is ignition protected, it can be installed within the engine room.
The included battery switch, a Blue Sea System m-Series Dual Circuit Plus™ switch, is packed with features. While in the “on” position, both house and start batteries provide power, but are separated giving power to only the circuits dedicated to each battery. This eliminates the risk of draining the start battery by leaving the stereo on too long or running the trolling motor too much. However, if there is a time that extra power is needed from the battery with a charge, the combine features allows you to draw power to start the engine or make an emergency radio call. This switch is ignition protected and compatible with installations in engine compartments of gasoline powered boats. It can be surface or rear mounted for a cleaner look.
- Allows two batteries to be efficiently charged from a single charging source without external regulators or isolators
- Automatically isolates house battery during starts to protect electronics
- Provides an emergency combine feature to draw power from both batteries
- Simplifies switching for two battery systems
- Tin plated copper studs on the battery switch provide maximum conductivity and corrosion resistance
- Ignition protected ACR and switch; can be installed in engine rooms of gasoline powered boats
- Multiple switch installation options
7601 Automatic Charging Relay (ACR) Specifications
- Nominal voltage: 12V, 24V
- Start Isolation: Yes
- Amperage Operating Current: 90mA (combined), 15mA (open)
- Continuous Rating: 65A
- Intermittent Rating: 115A for 2min.
- Cable Size to Meet Rating: 1/0AWG
- Terminal Stud Size: 1/4"
- Closing voltage: 9.6/27.2V (30 sec.)
- Opening voltage: 12.75/25.5V (30 sec.)
- Over Voltage Lockout: 16V@ 12V,
- Under Voltage Lockout: 5V@12V, 19v@24V
- Dimensions: 2 7/8" x 2 7/8" x 2 5/8" D
6011m Dual Circuit Plus Battery Switch Specifications
- Switch Type:Dual Battery switch plus
- Switch Positions: 3
- Battery Combine: Yes
- Alternator Field Disconnect: No
- Maximum Voltage: 32
- Continuous Rating: 300A
- Intermittent Rating (duration): 450A (5min)
- Cranking Rating (30Sec): 675A
- Battery Inputs: 2
- Cable Size to meet ratings: 4/0
- Mounting Holes: #10 screws
- Terminal Stud size: 3/8"
- Dimensions: 2 7/8" x 2 7/8" x 3 1/8" D
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.