C.SHERMAN JOHNSON–"Over Center" Lifeline Pelican Hooks
True "over-center" design opens easily under tension so you don't have to create slack in the line.
One of the safest pelican hooks available. The unique "over center" design causes the body of the fitting, rather than the hinge or plunger pins, to carry the load of a fall against the boarding gate. Investment cast 316 stainless steel with pull pin release. 3 1/2" grip length. 4" overall length.
- Select wire diameter (either 1/4" or 3/16") and crimp method (machine swage for professional installation or hand crimp)
- 5/16"-24 LH thread size
- Releases easily under load due to special claw design
- The hook is easy to open, yet it stays secure with a heavy, welded split ring on the plunger latching device
- 3 1/2" long from end of body to bearing point of hook; 4" overall length
- Repair kit for lost or worn latching mechanisms available
- Investment cast T-316 stainless steel
- Adjustment range is 1 1/4"
Note: Hand Crimp Terminals
- Hand Crimp terminals, when properly applied, are approximately 65-70% of 7 x 7 wire strength
- While this has proven adequate for lifelines, C.S. Johnson does not recommend use of these fittings for standing rigging or other high load applications
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.