Rescue Laser Light™
|Dimensions||3 1/8 Inches Long|
Day and nighttime laser signaling device that provides a convenient, effective way to signal a rescue party.
Now with a sight ring that helps you aim at your target, use this compact laser flare to signal for help or locate crew or gear. Laser flare emits a fan of light rather than a narrow beam. Visible up to 20 miles away at night, visible up to three miles in daylight and locates reflective material up to one mile away. Long-life red laser diode lasts up to 10,000 hours.
How you use a Rescue Laser Flare
- Help is in the distance
- Line up your target
- While aiming, slowly move laser back and forth across your target
- At 16 miles, you have a 5,000' fan of light to hit your target
How does it work and is it safe?
Greatland Rescue Laser Flares use patented technology to create a line of laser light that when "painted" across an area guarantees that you will hit your target. In a survival situation, the ability to easily signal across large distances is the key to getting rescued.
By drawing a vertical fan of light that spreads thousands of feet long at miles of distance, even under duress, it is easy to make sure that your signal catches the eye of a possible rescuer. In addition, by diffusing the laser from a potential dangerous point of light into a spread out line, your target will see a brief, but bright, momentary flash as the laser line crosses their field of vision. At distances of 13 feet or more, the Rescue Laser is perfectly eye safe, yet incredibly effective from up to 30 miles away.
Why regular laser pointers don't work
With a common laser pointer, you would have to hit your target directly in the eye for them to see you. At a distance, this would be nearly impossible. Rescue Lasers work because at a distance they produce a fan or light. At 16 miles, the fan would be 6,000' high. Note: This fan of light will not be visible. The target will see a brilliant flash of light only when the fan crosses their line of vision.
- Visibility: 20 miles (32 km) nighttime, optimum conditions, 1-3 miles (1.6-4.8 km) daytime
- Wavelength: 650nm
- Beam Shape: Collimated 5 degree (1 mrad.) divergent laser line
- Laser Operation: Twist cap laser activation
- Construction: Anodized 6061-T6 aluminum
- Dimensions: 3 1/8"L x 7/8" Diameter
- Weight: 1.7oz. without battery
- Waterproof: to 80 feet (24 m)
- Laser Diode: Red - 10,000 hours meantime life
- Laser Class: 3R < 5mW cw max
- Beam Divergence: = 5 degrees
- Operational Life: 40 hours continuous use before changing battery
- Battery: CR123 lithium battery
- Warranty: Limited lifetime
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.