#40 Two-Speed Aluminum Self-Tailing Winch
2.13:1 in First Gear
6.28:1 in Second Gear
13.5:1 in First Gear
39.9:1 in Second Gear
|Warranty Details||Three Years|
Radial winches were designed from the deck up with three key ideas in mind: safety and long-lasting performance, streamlined installation, and hydraulic/electric upgrades as part of the design rather than afterthoughts.
Powerful, Efficient, Dependable: The details make the difference.
- The gripping surfaces of Radial Winches are shaped, and do not depend on friction to hold the line
- The winch top is completely covered, so fingers and clothing do not get caught in moving parts
- Seasonal maintenance is exceptionally easy; the top lifts out as a single unit, making reassembly quick and mistake free
Integrated Stripper Arm: The strong, one-piece stripper arm completely covers the winch top for a stable platform that prevents fingers and clothing from catching on moving parts, an important safety feature, particularly when operating powered winches. The arm can be adjusted to multiple positions after the winch is mounted, and is shaped to smoothly feed line into and out of the spring-loaded self-tailing jaws.
Lightweight, High-Strength Materials: Composite roller bearings and bushings reduce friction under load, have excellent corrosion resistance, and don't require lubrication.
- Snap-fit design keeps bearings captive in a high-strength Delrin® cage when drum is removed for maintenance
- Load-carrying gears and pins are 17-4PH stainless steel for strength and durability
- Weight savings of 25 to 50 percent compared to the Classic Harken line
Easy to Service and Maintain: Winches can be disassembled and serviced on deck. The socket, washer, and screw-top snap-fit together to simplify maintenance and for mistake-free assembly.
1. Power Grip Jaws
Composite self-tailing jaws of long-glass fiber are shaped for easy line entry and optimum gripping power. The spring-loaded upper jaw adjusts under line pressure to accept a variety of line sizes. Teeth grip evenly with or without load.
2. Radial Shaped Surface Grip
The drum's gripping surface is shaped for each winch size and drum material and features diagonal ribs (rather than textured abrasive materials) to maximize gripping power and greatly reduce line wear. When easing, the angle of the ribs stops line from rising, preventing overrides and providing a smooth controlled release as the line exits the winch.
3. Quick Installation
Patent-pending stud-bolt mounting system allows one person to quickly install a winch without removing the drum.
a. Snap off the skirt at the base of the winch
b. Slide bolts through the slots in the winch base and snap the plastic skirt back on
c. Place the stud bolts into the pre-drilled holes on the deck and tighten them from below deck
- #40 Radial Self-Tailing Aluminum Two-Speed Winch
- 2.13:1 1st Gear Ratio
- 6.28:1 2nd Gear Ratio
- 13.5:1 1st Power Ratio
- 39.9:1 2nd Power Ratio
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.