Peahi Polarized Sunglasses
|Lens Material||Super Thin Glass|
Looking for a pair of sunglasses that will not only protect your eyes from UV light and glare, but stray UV light, sand and allergens as well? It's a wrap.
That's right, a pair of wrap-around sunglasses like Maui Jim's Peahi Polarized Sunglasses provide extra protection due to their curved shape and wide temples. You know those pesky rays of light that sneak in around your eyes when you're on the water? Those reflected rays add to eye strain and are just as damaging as the light coming straight into your lenses. Wrap-arounds also help keep sand and allergens out of your eyes since they fit closer to your face.
Pe'ahi ('peh-AH-hee') is a place on Maui's north shore where the biggest wave surfed in the world each year is typically found. This surf break, also known as "Jaws," produces waves as extreme as 70 feet at times. These sunglasses exemplify the all-in attitude needed to surf here with their large wrap frames of lightweight yet durable Grilamid and SuperThin Glass lenses with outstanding optics and the best scratch and solvent resistance. Their PolarizedPlus2® lens technology goes beyond shielding your eyes from glare and harmful UV to reveal and enhance the colors that define wherever you live and play. Embedded, nonslip silicone nose pads and rubber ends help keep them on your face. Although, if you want to be extra sure they don't end up falling off at an inopportune moment (like when you're watching the action from the lookout on the Peahi cliffs above the break), a neoprene retainer or leash (sold separately) is inexpensive insurance.
Neutral Gray – this tint has the highest light reduction for rich color and contrast. Best for bright, direct sunlight.
HCL® Bronze – this tint is versatile in changing conditions and provides excellent contrast. Great if you love a warm, subtle bronze tint. Best in full sunlight to overcast.
SuperThin Glass Lenses
- Absolute crispest optics available
- 20% thinner and lighter than standard glass lenses
- PolarizedPlus2® technology eliminates 99.9% of glare
- Superior precision with absolute clarity
- Sharp contrast with great depth perception
- Bi-Gradient mirror at the top and bottom of the lens squints for you so your eyes can relax
- Anti-reflective surface blocks bounce-back glare from behind and eliminates eye fatigue
- Enhance natural light instead of dimming it for exceptional color and clarity
- Best scratch and solvent resistance
- Waterproof and oleophobic to shed water and repel grease
- Block 100% of all harmful UV rays
- 95% reduction in high-energy blue light (HEV)
- Enhance red, green and blue light waves
- A lightweight, durable polymer with extreme bending strength
- Retains its shape
- Modified rectangular wrap style
- High-gloss or matte finishes
- Hypoallergenic Cellulose Propionate temples with rubber ends
- Saddle-style fixed bridge
- Embedded, nonslip silicone nose pads
- Anti-corrosive spring hinge
- 8 base curve
- SuperThin Glass lenses
- Grilamid frames
- Includes case
- Prescription ready
- Two-year warranty
All Maui Jim sunglasses have been recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective UV filter for the eyes and surrounding skin.
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.