PETTIT PAINT–Horizons Multi-Season Bottom Paint
This item is no longer available.
Horizons delivers multi-season antifouling protection at an affordable price.
Horizons is a multi-season antifouling paint heavily loaded with copper for maximum antifouling effectiveness. As an ablative paint, Horizons surface wears away with use, exposing fresh biocides while eliminating paint build up and the need for sanding. Boats painted with Horizons can be hauled and kept out of the water for up to 12 months, making Horizons a great choice for trailered boats.
Horizons’ controlled wearing also results in a smooth surface, which reduces drag and boosts fuel efficiency. Offered at a moderate price, Horizons is a great choice for the prevention of barnacles and other hard fouling organisms in salt-, fresh- and brackish waters. Horizons can be applied to fiberglass, wood or steel hulls. Do not apply to aluminum hulls. Available in Blue and Black.
- Ablative formula and high copper load provides multi-season antifouling performance
- Can be hauled and re-launched without repainting
- Ablative technology reduces coating build-up and the need for sanding
- Type: Synthetic Polymer/Rosin
- Finish: Flat
- Available colors: Blue, Green, Red, Black, white
- Components: 1
- Curing mechanism: Solvent Release
- Solids by Volume: 62% +/- 3% (Theoretical)
- Solids by weight: 83% +/- 2% (Theoretical)
- Coverage: 500sq. ft. /gal.
- VOC: 330 g/l Max. (as supplied)
- Active ingredients: Cuprous Oxide 40.5%
- Flash point: 110° F (SETA)
- Application Method: Brush, roller, airless, or conventional spray
- Number of coats recommended: 2 Coats, 3 on bare wood (first coat thinned)
- Wet Film Thickness: 3.2 mils
- Dry Film Thickness: 2 mils
- Applicator: High-quality short nap roller (maximum 3/8” nap) brush
- Application temperature Min. /Max. Range: Minimum 50°F and Maximum 90°F.
- Thinner: 85 Ablative Thinner, Model 488999
Drying Times* (Hours)
|To recoat||12 hr.||6 hr.||3 hr.|
|To launch||48 hr.||16 hr.||8 hr.|
*The above dry times are minimums. May be recorded after the minimum time shown. There is no maximum dry time before launching.
Get the right amount of paint:
Boat Type Bottom Paint 10' Dinghy 1 qt. 14' Outboard 1-2 qt. 18' Runabout 2 qt. 20' Sailboat 3 qt. 24' Runabout 3-4 qt. 30' Sailboat 1.5 gal. 32' Cruiser 1.5-2 gal. 36' Auxiliary 2 gal. 40' Cruiser 2.5 gal. 45' Sailboat 3-3.5 gal 50' Sportfisher 4+ gal.
Another way to determine bottom paint quantity is to estimate the approximate surface area of the hull below the waterline, using the following formula:
Length x Beam x .75 = Approximate underwater surface area in square feet.
Each paint has a “theoretical coverage” area, but most paints require at least two coats, so you can expect actual coverage to be no greater than half of the theoretical value.
For detailed application instructions and to view available colors, see the Pettit Horizons Data Sheet.
NOTE: Manufacturer data sheets are subject to revision. Linked data sheets are believed to be accurate at the time of publication.
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Related West Advisor Articles
SEAFITDeluxe Bottom Painting Kit