SMARTPLUG–50' Dual Configuration Cordset, 30A, Orange
50' Dual Configuration Cordset, 30A, Orange
|Warranty Details||Seven Years; Limited Warranty|
Upgrade the boat end of your shore power, while keeping the standard connection at the dockside end.
It's time for a change. These Dual Configuration Cordsets let you retrofit the boat end of your shore power system with a modern, safe and convenient SmartPlug connector and compatible SmartPlug shore power inlet (sold separately). They include a SmartPlug 30A boatside connector at one end and a standard NEMA twist-type dockside plug at the other end, so you can enjoy all the safety and security of the SmartPlug system in any marina equipped with "Old School" NEMA dockside power pedestals.
What's in the Kit
- SmartPlug Dual Configuration Cordset
- Zip Storage Bag
Why the SmartPlug
Shore power delivery systems have remained virtually unchanged since they were introduced in 1938. Contrary to popular belief, the number-one cause of shore power failure and fires is not electrical shorting, but rather overheating caused by poor electrical conductivity.
These problems are built into the aging designs of common shore power technology. SmartPlug offers a better way.
The Problem with "Old School" NEMA Connectors
- Curved pins: Electrical pins' curved shape causes minimum metal-to-metal contact, causing resistance and overheating
- Connector body shape: The gap between the body and the inlet allows the connector to move, putting tension on the pins and clips
- Ease of use: Difficult to find the "L"-shaped pin to twist and engage the plug, especially at night
- Locking: No locking feature or plastic locking ring that is prone to stripping or cracking
The SmartPlug Solution
- 30-Amp overheat protection: Oversize power pins and clips ensure efficient transfer of power even with high amperage loads
- Electrical pins: Straight pins, not curved, with 20-times more electrical surface area; No twisting required
- Better metal: Tinned copper wire throughout the full length of the cord set provides superior conductivity and resistance to corrosion; All external metals are 316 stainless steel; electrical pins are nickel-plated brass for maximum connectivity
- Connector body shape: Sleeve design fits snugly within the inlet, removing all pressure and tension from pins and clips
- Weatherproof seal: TPE Dyna-flex cord seal ensures weatherproof seal to power cord
- Locking: Inlet cover snaps onto the sides of the inlet and the top of the connector
- Ease of use: Unique plug body shape only goes in one way, the right way; Plug pushes straight in and locks automatically with spring-loaded side clips
- Industry-standard hole pattern: Mounts using the same hole pattern as industry-standard layout used by Hubbel, Marinco etc.
- Indicator Light: Cool blue LED Power indicator light on the top of the connector glows when power is on
- Flexible: Super flexible cord that can be tightly coiled even in cold weather
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.