Rig-Sense Tension Gauge
Add extra coverage from the date of purchase beyond the manufacturer’s warranty. View Details
Rig Tension gauge for repeatable rig settings aids race setup and preparation.
- Measures loads on both wire and fibers
- Diameter range from 2mm to 5mm (3/32" to 13/64”)
- Direct scale with tension output
- Composite calibrated leaf spring
- Stainless steel contact points
- Ergonomic, robust body
- Compact size, durable and light
- Easy, one-handed operation
- Carrying bag is included
- Works in conjunction with the Rig-Sense App
Rig-Sense Rig Tension Gauge measures the loads on wire or rope on dinghies and small keelboats. Rig-Sense is simple to use, measuring the tension directly in kilograms. Rig-Sense supports itself on the rig while in use, so you can operate it one-handed. Quality parts ensure long-term performance and consistent and accurate readings over time.
Rig-Sense uses a mechanical principle similar to a Loos gauge, but with four distinct improvements:
- Adjustable cable deflector: Rig-Sense uses an adjustable central deflector, with the same deflection for all cable sizes, so output does not vary with cable size. The other rig tension gauges have a fixed central deflector which means larger diameter cable will have larger deflection than smaller cable diameter, so output varies with cable size.
- Why measure in KG? The scale is true, with no need for conversion. All cable sizes use the whole scale and it works equally well with both imperial and metric cable, fiber and even rope. The Loos Gauge scale looks linear, but it is misleading. At the bottom of scale 3mm, one increment equals 5kg. At the top of scale 3mm, one increment equals 35kg. Also, each cable size only uses half of the scale.
- Profiled stainless steel deflectors: Rig-Sense uses large radius stainless steel deflectors which follow the natural bend in cable. This cancels out differences in cable bending stiffness. Tension will measure the same for different sizes and materials. Hard material supports cable over larger area – with no indentation and consistent repeatable output.
- Composite leaf spring: Rig-Sense uses a composite leaf spring. It results in high precision control of spring rate. Its compact shape allows slender design, which is less likely to be damaged, cannot over-stretch, allows for calibration during assembly, and is not subject to corrosion. Other gauges use stainless steel coil springs, making it difficult to achieve consistent spring quality over production runs. They can over stretch and create friction, with no way to adjust or calibrate the spring.
The Rig-Sense App
The Rig-Sense App is a simple mobile application for logging rig settings. By using the App you can store multiple settings for multiple boats and share with the crew, training partners, clubs, classes, coaches or the rest of the world.
The intuitive and easy-to-use interface of the App makes it simple to use and understand. You can log many types of information including shroud settings, type of spinnaker and the wind range you choose. The App allows you to customise any aspect of your Tuning Guide and save it as a ‘Template’ and from there you can create any number of files for different boats.
All the information is stored on your phone or tablet. If you are sailing a boat for the first time you can go to the class or sailmakers website to input directly to the Spinlock RIG App. You always have the information at your fingertips so you can focus sailing the boat.
Available on Android and iOS devices.
Rig-Sense Tension Gauge
|Best Use||3/32" to 5/32" Diameter|
|Features||Accurate Plus/Minus 5% at Mid Range|
|Length||10 5/8 Inches|
|Width||3 1/4 Inches|
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Related West Advisor Articles