HX870 Floating Handheld VHF Radio with GPS and DSC
- Adds additional protection from the date of purchase
- Extends protection past the manufacturer warranty
2018 Standard Horizon Endless Summer Rebate
Purchase a qualifying product and receive a $20 to $40 rebate.
- Save $20 on the HX210 and HX40 (Model: 18050542 and 19089234)
- Save $30 on the GX1300 and GX1700 (Models: 16263279, 16263287, 14533418, 14533426)
- Save $40 on the GX2200 and HX870 (Models: 15088222, 15088214, 16263261)
Valid August 1, 2018 — December 31, 2018
Floating handheld radio with all the safety and convenience of Digital Selective Calling (DSC).
The advanced HX870 floating handheld VHF/GPS includes a 66-channel WAAS GPS receiver, allowing you to transmit a DSC distress message, report your position or send calls with your coordinates, perfect for everyday use or adding to your ditch bag. The workhorse HX870 includes 6W of transmit power, a die-cast chassis, IPX8 submersible waterproof rating and long-lasting 1,800mAh Li-Ion battery. GPS capabilities include navigation to a waypoint, DSC (Digital Selective Calling) functions including Position Request, Position Report and waypoint entering.
Store up to 200 waypoints and 20 routes, which may be selected for navigating via the radios unique compass page. The compass page can also display the position of up to nine vessels in proximity to you via the new GM (Group Monitoring) feature. Advanced features include the Easy to Operate Icon/Menu System, ten-channel preset key selection, USB Data Port, GPS Position Logger, water activated SOS strobe light (the radio will turn on and flash SOS even if dropped in the water while the radio is turned off). Alkaline Battery tray, 12V DC and 110V AC three-hour rapid chargers included.
Easy to Operate Icon/Menu System: Forget about trying to memorize the owners manual. A brand new Easy to Operate Menu system makes this the most intuitive handheld on the market. DSC calling, position sharing, waypoint and route navigation, navigation to DSC distress call can all be performed with just a few simple steps.
Built-in Class D DSC: Includes built-in Class D DSC. Just push and hold down the red DISTRESS button, and it sends an automated digital distress message to the Coast Guard and all other DSC radio-equipped vessels. Rescuers instantly know who you are, where you are (using GPS coordinates), the name of your boat and the phone numbers of your emergency contacts. Remember that to make these features work, you need to register this radio and get an MMSI Number (like a maritime phone number) from BoatUS (for BoatUS members), Sea Tow or the U.S. Power Squadron.
GM (Group Monitor) using DSC Group Position Call: This new advanced feature allows you to continuously track and display position information of up to nine pre-selected vessels. Their position information is displayed on the compass page relative to your location on the display.
Water Activated Emergency Strobe Light: If the radio falls in the water an emergency strobe light is automatically activated, even when the unit is turned off. The strobe can be reconfigured to flash on and off, flash SOS, or set to stay on continuously.
Integrated 66 Channel WAAS GPS receiver: A highly sensitive 66 channel WAAS GPS receiver allows the HX870 to lock on to a position quickly and accurately. With position information displayed clearly on the display the user will be able to share position information using DSC and navigate to waypoints using the waypoint navigation feature of the radio.
Oversized full dot matrix display: The HX870 boasts one of the largest displays in a hand held VHF radio. Measuring 1.7" wide by 1.7" tall, or 2.3" diagonal. With a larger display, greater (dot matrix) resolution, and a super bright backlight there will be no mistaking the information displayed on the face of the radio day or night.
- Controls: 13-button keypad
- Scanning Modes: Programmable scan, programmable priority scan, dual watch, tri-watch
- Weather Alert: Yes
- Transmit Power: 6/2/1W
- Receiver Performance: Sensitivity: 0.25µV; Rejection: 70dB
- Battery Type: Lithium-ion, 1800mAh
- Battery Life: 12 hours +
- Waterproof Rating: IPX8, floats
- Dimensions: 2 7/16"W x 5 7/16"H x 1 11/16"D
- Display Type: Dot matrix LCD
- Screen Size: 1.7"W x 1.7"H
- Weight: 11.36oz.
- DSC: Class D with separate receiver for Channel 70
- GPS Receiver: 66-channel, WAAS
- NMEA Output: NMEA 0183 output via USB
- Warranty: Three-year waterproof; $65 flat rate
What’s in the Box
- CAT460 antenna
- SBR-13LI 1800Ah Li-ion battery pack
- SBH-12 charger cradle
- SAD-11B or SAD-18B 120V AC wall charger for SBH-12
- E-DC-19A DC cable with 12V cigarette lighter plug for SBH-12
- SBT-13 Alkaline battery case for five AAA batteries
- Clip-22 belt clip
- YS-05-01 hand strap
- T9101606 USB cable
- Owner’s Manual
HX870 Floating Handheld VHF Radio with GPS and DSC
|Battery Life||12 Hours|
|Dimensions||2 7/16" Width x 5 7/16" Height x 1 11/16" Depth|
|Display Type||Dot Matrix LCD|
|Transmit Power||6/2/1 Watt|
Three Years Waterproof
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Related West Advisor Articles
FREE DELIVERY to West Marine Stores
- Available for ALL products including hazardous & truck freight items.
- Ship to over 240 U.S. store locations.
- Contiguous United States orders arrive in 7 - 10 days.
- Hawaii and Alaska orders arrive in 10 - 16 days.
- Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee.
- Not available in Puerto Rico.
FREE SHIPPING on orders over $49.00
- Applicable on orders over $49.00 within the 48 contiguous United States.
- Does not apply to Truck Freight.
- No coupon code required.
- Orders will be delivered within 3 - 7 business days.
We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your West Marine purchase does not meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. If you are a West Advantage Rewards member, you don't even need a receipt - we'll have a record of your purchase. Returns can be made via mail or in person at their nearest store location. If you are not a West Advantage Rewards member, we will first need to verify your purchase by receipt or other method.
We do carry a few items that cannot be returned. This includes: items with expiration dates that have expired such as flares, charts, annual publications; items registered to the user such as boats, motors, EPIRBs, PLBs, SPOT, Class B AIS, life rafts; customized items such as rigging, and boat covers, computer software and electronics charts. Other non-returnable items include carry-on air conditioners, generators and select electronics. We will help you contact the vendor for assistance or repair on product that cannot be returned to West Marine. Items containing hazardous material may only be returned to a West Marine store.
Standard Shipping (ground service) is used to ship items that are considered hazardous. Estimated delivery is 3 – 7 business days and only applicable on deliveries within the contiguous United States. Signature Required for receipt of shipment.
For additional inquiries, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-BOATING (262-8464).