Inflatable Boat Sealant, Quart
Our sealant finds and stops leaks too small to find any other way!
It's specially formulated for use with inflatable boats, rafts and tow toys. This sealant forms a bond with the interior fabric of the inflatable, stopping or "sealing" slow leaks and preventing future leaks from developing.
In one easy step, leaks are cured from the inside, which are virtually impossible to find from the outside. Our Inflatable Boat Sealant is the only product of its kind which allows for future deflation of your inflatable (for storage, etc.) without the skin sticking to itself and making re-inflation virtually impossible.
It will seal the leak(s) and keep your inflatable firm for years to come. And Inflatable Boat Sealant can be used multiple times, so if your inflatable develops a new leak weeks or years from now, you can use the sealant again.
Bottle contains one (1) quart of sealant.
How it's Used
- Deflate the boat
- Inject the liquid sealant into the air chambers through the valves
- Inflate the boat
- Turn the boat end-over-end and side-to-side, making sure that the entire interior is covered
- It's sealed and as good as new
How Much to Use
One quart of Inflatable Boat Sealant is sufficient to seal small leaks on boats 12' long or smaller. On boats larger than 12', there is a formula for calculating how much Sealant to use for each air chamber: The basic rule is: 1/2 ounce of Sealant will cover 1 square foot of material. Using more than the required amount is not better.
The Formula for finding how many square feet of material there are inside your boat is:
- (Length of the Boat in feet) x 12 x 2 x (Diameter of the tube in inches) x 3.1416 -:- 576 = Number of ounces of Sealant needed to treat the boat
- This number, divided by the number of air chambers gives the amount of Sealant needed in each air chamber.
How To Tumble a Bigger Boat
There are a couple of options available to those who own inflatable boats too large or heavy for one person to tumble. One option is to call several friends and ask their help. (When choosing this option, always remember the Cardinal Rule of Boat Repair: When you're out of beer, you're out of friends.)
- Deflate the boat and inject the Sealant in each air chamber
- Re-inflate the boat to rigidity
- Have two friends on each end of the boat (now you're management!)
- Raise the stern to about 45° and hold for about 10 seconds
- Lower the stern and raise the bow for 10 seconds
- Turn the boat (rotate along its length) about five degrees and raise each end again
- Continue rotating the boat 5° at a time and lifting both ends until the boat has been turned completely over
All By Yourself
- Place the boat to be treated flat on the ground
- Deflate the boat and add the Sealant
- WITH THE BOAT STILL DEFLATED, walk the Sealant around the air chamber, that is, step on the air chamber while it is deflated pressing the top half of the air chamber firmly onto the bottom half
- Start at the valves and work your way to the ends until you are sure all the top half of the chamber has contacted the bottom half. (Another alternative to walking the boat is to use a garden type roller to help spread the Sealant.)
- When you are sure Sealant has made contact with the entire interior of the air chamber, walk it again!
- Now you're ready to re-inflate the boat to RIGIDITY
- Wait three hours, then inflate the boat to full pressure and check for leaks
In the unlikely event that there are still leaks, re-treat the boat using only 1/3 the amount used the first time. Make sure the Sealant gets to the leaking area. Do not allow the Sealant to pool in any one area.
Inflatable Boat Sealant, Quart
FREE DELIVERY to West Marine Stores
- Available for ALL products including hazardous & truck freight items.
- Ship to over 240 U.S. store locations.
- Contiguous United States orders arrive in 7 - 10 days.
- Hawaii and Alaska orders arrive in 10 - 16 days.
- Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee.
- Not available in Puerto Rico.
FREE SHIPPING on Orders over $49.00
- Applicable on orders over $49.00 within the 48 contiguous United States.
- Does not apply to Truck Freight.
- No coupon code required.
- Orders will be delivered within 3 - 7 business days.
We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your West Marine purchase does not meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. If you are a West Advantage Rewards member, you don't even need a receipt - we'll have a record of your purchase. Returns can be made via mail or in person at their nearest store location. If you are not a West Advantage Rewards member, we will first need to verify your purchase by receipt or other method.
We do carry a few items that cannot be returned. This includes: items with expiration dates that have expired such as flares, charts, annual publications; items registered to the user such as boats, motors, EPIRBs, PLBs, SPOT, Class B AIS, life rafts; customized items such as rigging, and boat covers, computer software and electronics charts. Other non-returnable items include carry-on air conditioners, generators and select electronics. We will help you contact the vendor for assistance or repair on product that cannot be returned to West Marine. Items containing hazardous material may only be returned to a West Marine store.
For additional inquiries, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-BOATING (262-8464).