West Marine Announces Recipients of Spring 2017 BlueFuture Grants
This summer, the Waterlife Outfitter will present $1,500 grants to 25 nonprofit organizations dedicated to youth waterlife adventure, education and stewardship
Watsonville, CA, June 15, 2017 - After receiving a record number of applications in its spring 2017 grant cycle, West Marine has announced the names of 25 nonprofit organizations that will receive $1,500 grant awards. This summer, the world’s premier Waterlife Outfitter will present grant checks to the winners, all community-based organizations that are dedicated to getting young people on and around the water in recreational and educational capacities.
The grants are unrestricted, which means West Marine allows grant recipients to determine how and when they use these funds.
“No one understands the needs of a community better than those living and working in that community,” says Deb Radcliff, West Marine Senior Vice President, Marketing. “We think these special organizations are doing incredible work to improve access to the water, teach valuable job and life skills, and encourage young people from all backgrounds to create and treasure their very own waterlife experiences.”
The spring 2017 BlueFuture grant recipients are:
- ABLE for Youth Inc. dba ABLE To Sail, Longmont, CO
- American Seafarers, Waterford, CT
- Brother Rice / Marian Competitive Sailing, Rochester Hills, MI
- Buzzards Bay Coalition, New Bedford, MA
- Calvert Marine Museum, Solomons, MD
- City of Mackinac Island Rec Dept., Mackinac Island, MI
- Hudson River Maritime Museum, Kingston, NY
- King Harbor Youth Foundation, Redondo Beach, CA
- Friends of MAOS (Monterey Academy of Oceanographic Science), Monterey, CA
- New Horizons Maritime Center, Springville, UT
- Ocean Research & Conservation Association (ORCA), Fort Pierce, FL
- Puppy Prodigies, Escondido, CA
- San Juan Islands Sailing Foundation, Friday Harbor, WA
- Sail Nauticus, Norfolk, VA
- Sea Scout Ship 5496, St. Charles, MO
- Space Coast Sailing Education Foundation Inc., Indian Harbour Beach, FL
- Student Angler League Tournament Trail, Myrtle Beach, SD
- Surfrider Spirit Sessions, Kailua, HI
- The 5Gyres Institute, Los Angeles, CA
- The Cleveland Home dba Life Adventure Center, Versailles, KY
- Warrior’s Ranch Inc., Wakefield, KS
- WILDCOAST, San Diego, CA
- YMCA Camp Winona, DeLeon Springs, FL
“We congratulate these 25 nonprofit organizations, which are having such an important impact on young people’s lives,” Radcliff says. “We’re also deeply grateful to all the organizations who applied for spring 2017 BlueFuture grants. With a record number of applications, our judges’ task was extremely challenging. We extend our best wishes to all applicants for continued success and hope they will reapply in the fall.”
West Marine’s BlueFuture Fund distributes tens of thousands of dollars annually through spring and fall BlueFuture grants. To grow the fund, West Marine conducts three signature in-store fundraisers: National Safe Boating Week in May; World Oceans Day in June; and the Month of Giving in December. The fund also encourages year-round donations through its website, www.westmarine.com/BlueFuture.
The BlueFuture Fund is a donor-advised fund through the Community Foundation of Santa Cruz. All donations are fully tax-deductible, and twice each year, West Marine awards grants to worthy nonprofit organizations across North America. These much-needed funds allow community-based groups to provide scholarships, purchase new equipment, maintain staff, add programs and so much more.
To learn more, visit www.westmarine.com/BlueFuture.
About West Marine
Each person has a unique connection to the water. At West Marine (westmarine.com, NASDAQ: WMAR), our knowledge, enthusiasm and products prepare Waterlife adventurers to foster that connection and explore their passions. With more than 250 stores located in 38 states and Puerto Rico and an eCommerce website reaching domestic, international and professional customers, West Marine is recognized as a leading Waterlife Outfitter for cruisers, sailors, anglers and paddlesports enthusiasts. Since first opening our doors in 1968, West Marine associates continue to share the same love for the water as our customers and provide helpful advice on the gear and gadgets they need to be safe and have fun.