Select Styles for Availability
Vendor Shipping Details
This item will be fulfilled from the vendor. Delivery time varies – typically 2–3 weeks.
Restrictions: This item does not ship to a PO Box, APO, FPO, DPO or international address. Expedited shipping is not available.
West Marine will email you when your order ships from the vendor.
Truck Freight is used to ship items that exceed standard shipping limitations on weight and/or size. Delivery is only applicable within the contiguous United States. Additional shipping fees apply. Signature required for receipt of shipment.
Stop fighting engine torque and easily steer your boat with a Rotech steering system.
Featuring the T71FC helm with a planetary gear design, the Rotech system reduces steering effort and delivers more balanced loads on the steering wheel. This unique design also offers a wider wear area which reduces lost motion and improves durability.
Centered on the main drive shaft, this helm requires less room behind the dash. Designed to be a direct “drop in” replacement for competing systems, the helm requires no new holes for installation. Along with the T71FC helm, the Rotech package also includes one M66 Universal Rotary Steering Cable (with stainless steel output fittings for maximum longevity and smooth steering) and Rotech's X34 90° Bezel.
NOTE: Where boat speeds exceed 50mph, we recommend hydraulic steering systems. This system is not for use on boats equipped with engines that exceed the maximum horsepower rating of the boat.
- Fast connect, simple installation
- All stainless steel cable output ends
- Corrosion resistant materials
- Particulary suitable where clearance is limited
- Optional 90° or 20° installation
- Minimal feedback
- Compact and easy to mount
- Exceeds EN 28848 safety standards
- Exceeds ABYC P17 safety standards
- Boat Type: Non power-assisted V-4 and smaller outboards; Single station only; Up to 50mph
- Steering Type: Rotary
- Turns Lock-to-Lock: 3.8
- Travel: 9"
- Steering Wheel: Up to 16", sold separately
- Steering Wheel Shaft: 3/4" tapered shaft
- Dimensions: T71FC helm: 4 7/8"D behind dash front x 5 15/16"W x 5 3/8"H (See the T71FC Dimensional Drawing for greater detail.)
- Cable Type: M66 series cable included
- Minimum Cable Bend Radius: 7.9”
- Mounting Hardware: Included
- Warranty: Two years
How to measure for steering cables
Rotech Steering Systems are offered with a choice of cable lengths ranging (in one foot increments) from 8' to 20'. If you have your old steering cable, determine the length as follows:
Measure the cable's outer sleeve from mounting point to mounting point, add 22" and round up to the closest foot.
If you have already discarded your old cable and do not know its length, see our West Advisor "Mechanical Steering", which includes instructions on how to measure for steering cables. Click on the "West Advisor" tab above.
This article provides an overview of hydraulic steering systems for outboard, I/O and inboard powered boats.
By Tom Burden, Last updated 6/25/2019
Learn about the different types of mechanical steering systems and how to select one for your boat.
By Tom Burden, Last updated 10/11/2021