GX1600 Compact Fixed-Mount VHF Radio
Add extra coverage from the date of purchase beyond the manufacturer’s warranty. View Details
Mounting a VHF radio has never been easier.
The Explorer GX1600 has an ultra-thin and compact rear case, only 3 1/2" in depth or half the depth of comparable VHF radios. The rear case design also gives flexibility when flush mounting the radio in tight areas or bracket mounting the radio by taking up less dash space, and allowing more mounting options.
The GX1600 meets ITU-R M493-13 Class D DSC regulations with a dedicated channel 70 receiver that continuously watches for DSC calls. The GX1600 accepts a RAM3 Remote Access Microphone, allowing full control of all radio and DSC functions from a second station. The microphone uses ClearVoice noise reduction technology, which reduces wind and engine noise when transmitting.
- RAM3+ second station mic capable: Need to remotely control the VHF from your cockpit of fly bridge? The Explorer is RAM3+ remote mic capable to control all VHF, DSC functions at a second station.
- Big, bold display: There is no question about it. With a big, bold display there is no mistaking the information. The contrast and brightness can be adjusted for situations where the radio cannot be mounted directly in front of you.
- Programmable Scan, Priority Scan and Dual Watch: Scanning is not an issue with the Explorer. The radio can be set up to scan any number of channels with or without a Channel 16 as the priority channel or simply can be setup to scan between a priority channel and one other channel (dual watch).
- Clearvoice noise reduction technology: The Explorer features Clear Voice Noise Reduction Technology eliminating unwanted background noises like engines and wind during transmission. This assures transmissions are crystal clear along with dedicated 16/9, H/L keys and channel selection.
- Navigate to Waypoints: The Explorer is capable of entering and saving up to 100 waypoints. These waypoints may be selected and navigated to by using a unique navigation compass display that shows your vessels SOG, COG, BRG (Bearing) and DST (Distance) to the waypoint when connected to an external GPS.
- DSC Position Polling and NMEA in/output: Easily share position information with other DSC equipped vessels using the position request and position reporting functions. With the push of a few buttons you can request the position of another vessel, or simply send your position information to the vessel you select.
- Programmable Channel Names: The Explorer is supplied from the factory preloaded with description of the use of Marine channels (16-Distress, 22A-USCG, 71-Pleasure...). The channel names may be customized by the user to easily understand the use of each channel.
- GPS repeating: By connecting a GPS to the Explorer; Position, date, and time are also displayed when interfaced with a GPS receiver.
- NOAA Weather channels and Weather Alert: 10 NOAA and Canadian Weather channels are pre-programmed and easily selectable using the dedicated WX key. In addition, the EXPLORER can be set to monitor WX channels and provide an audible alert to inform of pending storm advisories.
- Channel Selection: Up/down keys
- Controls: Volume, squelch, spring-loaded DSC distress cover, backlit keypad
- Mic Controls: Channel selection, 16/9 and H/L keys
- Display Type: Backlit dot matrix
- Scanning Modes: Programmable, Priority Scan and Dual Watch
- Weather Alert: Yes
- Receiver Performance: Sensitivity: 25µV; Rejection: 70dB
- NMEA Interface: NMEA 0183
- DSC: Meets ITU-R M493-13 Class D DSC
- Dimensions: 5 3/8"W x 2 13/16"H x 2 9/16"D
- Amperage: 5A transmit / 0.5A receive
- Waterproof: Rating: IPX8 submersible plus
- Warranty: Three-year waterproof, $65 flat rate
GX1600 Compact Fixed-Mount VHF Radio
0.5 Amps (Standby)
5 Amps (Transmit)
|Dimensions||5 3/8" Width x 2 13/16" Height x 2 9/16" Depth|
|Display Type||Dot Matrix LCD|
Three Years Waterproof
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Related West Advisor Articles
FREE DELIVERY to West Marine Stores
- Available for ALL products including hazardous & truck freight items.
- Ship to over 240 U.S. store locations.
- Contiguous United States orders arrive in 7 - 10 days.
- Hawaii and Alaska orders arrive in 10 - 16 days.
- Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee.
- Not available in Puerto Rico.
FREE SHIPPING on orders over $49.00
- Applicable on orders over $49.00 within the 48 contiguous United States.
- Does not apply to Truck Freight.
- No coupon code required.
- Orders will be delivered within 3 - 7 business days.
We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your West Marine purchase does not meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. If you are a West Advantage Rewards member, you don't even need a receipt - we'll have a record of your purchase. Returns can be made via mail or in person at their nearest store location. If you are not a West Advantage Rewards member, we will first need to verify your purchase by receipt or other method.
We do carry a few items that cannot be returned. This includes: items with expiration dates that have expired such as flares, charts, annual publications; items registered to the user such as boats, motors, EPIRBs, PLBs, SPOT, Class B AIS, life rafts; customized items such as rigging, and boat covers, computer software and electronics charts. Other non-returnable items include carry-on air conditioners, generators and select electronics. We will help you contact the vendor for assistance or repair on product that cannot be returned to West Marine. Items containing hazardous material may only be returned to a West Marine store.
For additional inquiries, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-BOATING (262-8464).