VHF470 Floating DSC Radio with GPS
Add extra coverage from the date of purchase beyond the manufacturer’s warranty. View Details
This item is no longer available.
Our premium West Marine VHF470 pushes the boundaries of handheld VHF radio functionality.
It floats, meets the toughest waterproof standards, clears its speaker of water after a dunking and even includes an integrated flashlight. Our West Marine VHF470 is a floating handheld Class D DSC radio with an integrated GPS receiver.
It is Bluetooth capable, so you can use the new West Marine smartphone app (for both iOS and Android) to set up your radio, and send text messages to a smartphone and other VHF text message capable radios.
- Full power: With a full six watts, this is as powerful as a handheld can get; includes 1W, 2.5W and 6W settings
- Meets the toughest submersible standard: Complies with IPX8, so the radio can be submerged in up to 4.9' of water for 30 minutes, and it floats
- Integrated GPS Receiver: Turns this radio into a powerful navigation tool, and is corrected for accuracy with WAAS, SBAS, QZSS
- Waypoint Navigation: Navigate to your stored locations using the compass screen
- Smartphone App (Android™ and iOS®): West Marine Radio allows you to send text messages a smartphone or other VHF radios, update radio firmware
- Class D DSC: Lets you call other ships or groups using their unique identification code; includes a second, dedicated DSC channel
- Three-part operating system: Menus, Soft Keys, and a pop-up keyboard; These elements work with each other to quickly set up and operate your radio
- SPKR Soft Key: If you drop the radio in water, press the SPKR soft key to sound a loud tone. The vibrations from this tone help remove water from the speaker
- NMEA 0183 input and output: Lets you connect to a chartplotter and determine what NMEA data you want to receive
- LCD and key backlight/Flashlight/SOS Strobe: Pressing the Light/Lock key initiates various light
- MOB (Man Overboard): Lets you lock onto the current position when a Man Overboard situation occurs
- Power Source: Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery, 7.4V 1800 mAh or alkaline batteries (sold separately)
- Dimensions: 6-1/8"H x 2-9/16"W x 1-5/8"D (without antenna); Weighs 10.9oz. (with battery, antenna and belt clip)
What's in the Box
- VHF470 Radio
- Charging Cradle
- AC Adapter
- DC Adapter
- Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery
- Alkaline Battery Tray
- External speaker/microphone
- 1 meter NMEA cable
- Belt Clip
- Wrist Strap
- Mounting hardware
VHF470 RADIO FIRMWARE UPGRADE PROCEDURE
The following is an alternate way to update the VHF470 firmware:
- With the VHF470 off, press and hold the Transmit button and while holding this button, power On the radio with the power button
- The radio screen will show “UPGRADE”
- On your phone, start the West Marine Radio app
- Using the SEARCH button in the app, find the VHF470 radio
- After the app finds the radio, wait a few seconds for the app to sync with the radio
- Press the gear icon in the app
- Press the firmware update option
- The app will show “Checking”
- The app will show “There is a new version, upgrade now?”. Select “Upgrade”
- DO NOT turn off the radio while the upgrade is in process (be sure the radio’s battery is fully charged before starting the upgrade)
- The radio will automatically download and install the firmware upgrade
VHF470 Floating DSC Radio with GPS
|Battery Life||12 Hours|
|Transmit Power||1/2.5/6 Watt|
|Scanning Modes||Programmable Scan|
|Dimensions||2.5" Width x 5.7" Height x 1.5" Depth|
Standard AAA Batteries
Emergency Strobe Light
Flashes When Floating
Noise Canceling Microphone
|Warranty Details||Three Years|
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Related West Advisor Articles
FREE DELIVERY to West Marine Stores
- Available for ALL products including hazardous & truck freight items.
- Ship to over 240 U.S. store locations.
- Contiguous United States orders arrive in 7 - 10 days.
- Hawaii and Alaska orders arrive in 10 - 16 days.
- Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee.
- Not available in Puerto Rico.
FREE SHIPPING on Orders over $49.00
- Applicable on orders over $49.00 within the 48 contiguous United States.
- Does not apply to Truck Freight.
- No coupon code required.
- Orders will be delivered within 3 - 7 business days.
We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your West Marine purchase does not meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. If you are a West Advantage Rewards member, you don't even need a receipt - we'll have a record of your purchase. Returns can be made via mail or in person at their nearest store location. If you are not a West Advantage Rewards member, we will first need to verify your purchase by receipt or other method.
We do carry a few items that cannot be returned. This includes: items with expiration dates that have expired such as flares, charts, annual publications; items registered to the user such as boats, motors, EPIRBs, PLBs, SPOT, Class B AIS, life rafts; customized items such as rigging, and boat covers, computer software and electronics charts. Other non-returnable items include carry-on air conditioners, generators and select electronics. We will help you contact the vendor for assistance or repair on product that cannot be returned to West Marine. Items containing hazardous material may only be returned to a West Marine store.
For additional inquiries, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-BOATING (262-8464).