AmSteel Dyneema® AS-78 Single Braid
Strong as steel, very low stretch and so light that it floats.
With enhanced creep performance for superior resistance to stretching over time, AS-78 incorporates high-performance Dyneema SK-78 into a 12-strand single braid line. Dyneema SK-78 fiber has one of the highest strength-to-weight ratios of all the high-modulus fibers. Very high strength, 30 - 40% lighter than Aramid ropes of the same strength, is matched with very low weight, and it floats.
Its extremely low elongation and outstanding creep performance are matched by excellent flex-fatigue performance and abrasion resistance. It offers the racing community the next generation in high-performance lines and is the same price as Samson's SK-75 single braid. Coated with Samson's proprietary Samthane coating.
- Load it to 30% of its breaking strength and it stretches less that 1%
- Much lighter than wire rope, and 30 to 40% lighter than Aramid ropes of the same strength
- Use for cascade systems, replacements for wire halyards, tapered sheets, backstays, runners, checkstays, trapeze lines and strong ultralight rigging
- Add a cover where you need to cleat it or where it runs through a rope clutch
- Very easy to splice with a 12-strand eye splice
- Keep some onboard in a variety of different diameters for emergency repairs and replacements
- Construction: 12-strand hollow single braid
- Core fiber: Dyneema® is a brand of UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene fiber) from the Dutch company DSM Dyneema. It is a long chain, oriented strand synthetic fiber with very high strength as well as high abrasion resistance, also known as HMPE (High Modulus PolyEthylene). Dyneema rope is made in a number of formulations, SK-60, SK-75, SK-78, SK-90, etc. Each is progressively stronger and more costly. Honeywell International makes a similar UHMWPE fiber, called Spectra®.
- Hand/Feel: Very slippery so is often used with modern sheaveless blocks and thimbles. Not good at holding knots but easily spliceable with a 12-strand eye splice. Must be covered with a heat-resistant jacket where it wraps around highly-loaded winches.
- Stretch: 0.70 % at 20% of breaking strength (after 50 cycles)
- Specific Gravity: 0.98 (floats)
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Related West Advisor Articles
Free Standard Shipping is only applicable on orders over $49.00 and within the 48 contiguous United States. Free shipping does not apply to Truck Freight.
FREE DELIVERY to West Marine Stores
- Available for ALL products including hazardous & truck freight items.
- Ship to over 260 U.S. store locations.
- Contiguous United States orders arrive in 8 - 10 days.
- Hawaii and Alaska orders arrive in 10 - 16 days.
- Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee.
- Not available in Puerto Rico.
FREE SHIPPING on orders over $49.00
- Applicable on orders over $49.00 within the 48 contiguous United States.
- Does not apply to Truck Freight.
- No coupon code required.
- Orders will be delivered within 3 - 7 business days.
No Hassle Returns
We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your West Marine purchase does not meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. If you are a West Advantage Rewards member, you don't even need a receipt - we'll have a record of your purchase. Returns can be made via mail or in person at their nearest store location.
We do carry a few items that cannot be returned: items with expiration dates that have expired such as flares, charts, annual publications; items registered to the user such as boats, motors, EPIRBs, PLBs, SPOT, Class B AIS, life rafts; customized items such as rigging, and boat covers; computer software, electronics charts, and carry-on air conditioners. For electronics we will help you contact the vendor for assistance or repair. If you are not a West Advantage Rewards member, we will first need to verify your purchase by receipt or other method.
Standard Shipping (ground service) is used to ship items that are considered hazardous. Estimated delivery is 3 – 7 days and only applicable on deliveries within the contiguous United States. Additional shipping fees may apply. Signature Required for receipt of shipment.
For additional inquiries, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-BOATING (262-8464)