Shrink Wrap, 32' x 65', 7mil, White
|Size||32 Feet x 65 Feet|
Industry standard material for 100% protection during the off season. For professional use only.
Shrink wrap systems are a great way to protect boats stored in the off season, build temporary structures to contain construction dust or cover unused equipment. Shrink wrapping creates a versatile waterproof barrier that stands up to the environment. Completely covering the boat helps to keep out rodents and protect canvas from bird droppings, dust and debris. Because it is heat tensioned, shrink wrap eliminates pooling and sheds snow to reduce the risk of collapsing from snow loads. The tight material remains stable in high winds and will not chafe gel coat and paint.
Dr. Shrink manufactures their shrink wrap using 100% virgin resin with UV inhibitors to maximize strength and lifespan. Three colors are available in some thicknesses to better match the demands of certain applications (see below). Seven different widths allow users to select the best size to meet the needs of the job(s) and reduce waste. Each roll features center folded material to make the larger widths manageable and to aid in draping sheets of shrink wrap over the boat. All of Dr. Shrink shrink wrap is #4 low density polyethylene shrink wrap completely recyclable using Dr. Shrink REBAG® recycling bags or through a recycler that accepts #4 low density polyethylene.
Protect stored boats or create covered work areas to ward off Mother Nature and remain productive throughout the off season using the Dr. Shrink shrink wrap system.
Why the different colors?
Choosing the right color will reduce maintenance costs by letting Mother Nature do some of the heavy lifting. It can also help to increase the longevity of the material. All shrink wrap jobs will benefit from ventilation; it is important to note that extra steps are required for some of the colors.
- White: Great for most applications and stands up to the elements a little better. White offers minimal heat transference and produces less condensation. Ventilation is still recommended.
- Blue: Ideal for snowy climates, the darker color heats up and helps to shed snow to prevent unwanted snow loads. Users will want to use additional ventilation to control condensation.
- Clear: Primarily used for green houses, this material can be used for brokerage boats to allow in additional light for showing the boat. (A cautionary note, clear allows the most heat transference and will require extra ventilation for condensation and mildew control)
Selecting a thickness
Dr. Shrink materials are available in different thicknesses to suit different applications. Below are some guidelines for the best uses for each thickness. Regardless of the mil rating, all of the material carries 12 month UV protection.
- 6 mil: Good for general marine use. Can be used inside or outside in areas with milder winters
- 7 mil: Great for general marine use, smaller temporary structures and covering mid-sized equipment. Able to handle harsher winters with moderate snow
- 8 mil/8.5 mil: For applications that require a heavy duty material. Great for wrapping commercial vessels during construction or repair or for boats exposed to high snow loads. Used frequently for temporary structures, covering scaffolding and as a general purpose construction applications.
- 10 mil: Ideal for heavy duty use. Excellent for temporary structures, covering larger commercial vessels for refit or repair.
Selecting a width
For wrapping boats the rule of thumb is to have an additional 6" below the perimeter band to tuck up against the hull to hold in in place. Many users select a width that corresponds to average length of their customer’s boats (including the extra to tuck under the perimeter band) so that they can cut the required beam length from the roll. For larger and longer vessels or commercial applications selecting the material based on overall size may be a better approach. No matter which method you use, you will benefit from shrink wrap being center folded.
- Provides a waterproof barrier that will protect the boat all winter and require little maintenance
- Great for temporary structures to battle elements and remain productive during the off season
- Variety of colors and widths allow users to select a product that best suits their application based on environmental and dimensional needs
- 100% virgin UV inhibited resin increases strength and longevity
- Variety of thicknesses for use in different applications
- Center folded to makes handling and draping larger widths easier
- Manufactured using #4 low density polyethylene and is recyclable
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.