MA-500TR Class B AIS Transceiver
|Dimensions||6 1/2" Width x 4 3/8" Height x 4 15/16" Depth|
|Display Type||Full Dot-Matrix LCD|
Course Over Ground
Speed Over Ground
|Voltage||12 Volts DC|
|Warranty Details||One Year|
Pre-programming is required.
Unique AIS transceiver includes its own GPS receiver and dot-matrix display.
Compact, waterproof Class B AIS transceiver actively notifies other vessels of your exact position. Dual channel receiver provides AIS information (both Class A and Class B signals) simultaneously.
Large, backlit full dot-matrix screen gives real-time vessel traffic information for navigation and collision avoidance. Compact size means that it can be installed in a convenient place near the chart table, in the wheelhouse, on the flybridge or a pedestal in the cockpit. Large, easy-to-use, backlit buttons make it easy to operate.
MA-500TR can be integrated with the Icom VHF radios including the M400BB, M412, M424, M506, and 2011 DSC-compliant versions of the M604 and M504. When networked with these radios, one touch of the MA-500TR’s DSC button allows you to transmit DSC individual calls to a selected vessel instantly without manual MMSI entry; very handy in an emergency or for simply contacting nearby friends.
Key collision-risk management functions simplify AIS operation: MA-500TR identifies a target list (those in a local area), dangerous list (those you could potentially collide with) and what the closest point of approach is. A collision alarm with external alarm connection gives extra warning of potential impact.
- Class B AIS Transceiver: The MA-500TR is a Class B AIS transponder for non-SOLAS vessels such as pleasure craft, workboats and small vessels. Your vessels information will automatically be transmitted at fixed intervals or under base station control. The MA-500TR receives dual AIS channels (Ch. 87B and Ch. 88B) simultaneously and receives both Class A and Class B AIS information.
- Simple operation: The Plotter display looks like a marine radar display. North-up, course-up and range zoom from 0.125NM to 24NM are supported. The Target list display shows all detected AIS equipped vessels and targets. The Danger list display shows a list of vessels that are within 6 NM CPA and 60 minutes TCPA from your vessel. The Danger list can be sorted by CPA or TCPA order. In addition to these display types, the Detail screen shows various information about the selected AIS target.
- CPA and TCPA for collision risk management: When a vessel comes into the CPA and TCPA range, the vessel icon blinks on the Plotter display and emits a beep sound. When connected to external audio equipment installed on the deck or tower, the collision alarm function alerts you even when you are away from the AIS transponder.
- Individual DSC call: When connected to a compatible Icom VHF radio, it’s easy to make an individual DSC call. Select a vessel using the MA-500TR’s cursor keys and then push the “DSC” button on the MA-500TR. It is not required to input an MMSI number manually.
- 100 waypoint memory: Up to 100 waypoints can be stored on the waypoint list. The “MOB” button allows you to set a waypoint on your current position instantly.
- Safety related message: When the MA-500TR receives a safety-related message from a Class A AIS transponder, the message icon appears on the Plotter display. Up to 20 received DSC messages are automatically stored in the log memory.
- Three-line NMEA input/output: The MA-500TR has 15-pin D-SUB connector providing 3-lines of NMEA input/output on the rear panel. The supplied NMEA connector cable simplifies the installation and connection to the VHF radio and other navigation equipment.
- GPS recxeiver included: The MX-5000 GPS receiver is a 12 channel parallel GPS receiver with SBAS function.
- AIS Type: Class B
- Alarms: Collision alarm with external alarm connection to external audio equipment on the deck or tower
- Power Consumption: Tx: 1.5A, Rx: 0.7A
- NMEA Interface: Three lines of NMEA 0183 Input/Output
- Compatible VHF Radios: Compatible new versions of M400BB, M412, M424, M506, M604 and M504
What's in the Box
- MA-500TR Class B AIS Transceiver
- Mounting bracket kits
- GPS receiver with 10m cable
- DC power cable
- NMEA connector cable
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.