OCEAN SIGNAL–RescueME MOB1 AIS/DSC Personal Locator Beacon
Hazard Shipping Information
Standard Shipping (ground service) is used to ship items that are considered hazardous. Delivery is only applicable within the contiguous United States. Additional shipping fees may apply. Signature required for receipt of shipment.
RescueME MOB1 AIS/DSC Personal Locator Beacon
|Battery Life||24 Hours|
|Battery Storage Life||7 Years|
|Dimensions||1.5" Width x 5.3" Height x 1" Depth|
|Minimum Requirements||MMSI Registration|
|Warranty Details||Five Years|
If one of your crew goes overboard, RescueME MOB1 improves their chance of rescue, combining AIS, an integrated GPS for pinpoint accuracy, and the DSC system of your VHF radio.
MOB1 is a new type of Personal Locator Beacon, using both the AIS system and VHF radios with modern Digital Selective Calling. Attach it to the oral inflation tube of your inflatable life jacket, and if you fall overboard, it will automatically activate when the life jacket inflates (and can also be activated manually).
Get rescued by your own boat: If you fall overboard, your best chance of being rescued comes from your own boat, but for this to happen, your crew needs to be immediately aware of the incident and keep track of your position while the recovery is being carried out. Yet even in moderate seas, it is alarming how fast your crew can lose sight of a person in the water.
RescueME MOB1 offers two ways to communicate
In an emergency, rescueME MOB1 provides two methods of rapidly communicating your position, accurate to a few meters, and also provides a visual ID with its high intensity white LED strobe light.
- MOB Alert sent to AIS-equipped vessels: Once activated, your MOB1 will transmit an MOB Status alert, and send Position Alerts eight times per minute to all AIS enabled vessels in the vicinity. The integrated GPS ensures precise location is sent to your vessel and any others that may be assisting.
- DSC Call: An additional feature of the MOB1, is its ability to activate the DSC alarm on your vessels VHF, alerting your crew to the situation. Will produce closed loop calls if programmed in the US. This means it will call a single MMSI number every five minutes and one programmed Group call at 30 minutes activation.
- Integrated DSC transmitter (Digital Selective Calling functionality varies by country)
- Integrated high-intensity strobe light ensures maximum visibility in low light conditions
- 30% (typically) smaller than competitors
- MOB1 is intended to be installed within your life jacket and will activate automatically on inflation, sending the first alert within 15 seconds
- MOB1 communicates with the vessel you have been separated from and other vessels in the vicinity (up to five miles range, depending on conditions)
- Seven year battery life
- MOB1 activates the DSC alarm on your vessel's VHF radio, alerting your crew to the situation
- 24+ hours operational life
- Five year warranty (two years in commercial applications)
- Once activated, your MOB1 will transmit an alert to all AIS receivers and AIS enabled plotters in the vicinity
- Integrated GPS ensures precise location is sent to your vessel and any others that may be assisting
- Antenna: Sprung whip
- Range: Up to five nautical miles
- Transmit Power: 1W AIS transmit power, 0.5W DSC
- AIS Transmission: Message 1 (Position, repeated 8 times per minute), Message 14 (MOB status, repeated twice every 4 minutes)
- DSC Transmission: Individual Distress Relay (Closed loop call to single MMSI number, in regions where it is allowed, such as the US, repeated once every 5 minutes) and one programmed group call at 30 minutes activation
- Frequencies: AIS: 161.975/162.025MHz, DSC: 156.525MHz
- Compatibility: Most modern AIS plotters and DSC VHF radios comply with the standards required to receive MOB transmissions. It is recommended that you check compatibility with the equipment manufacturer, especially if you are using older equipment.
- Battery: Lithium-ion (included)
- Battery Life: 24hr. continuous use / Seven-year battery storage life
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.