VHF585 Fixed-Mount Submersible VHF Radio
37% Off - Ends 05/28/18
Original $159.99 Price Details
- Adds additional protection from the date of purchase
- Extends protection past the manufacturer warranty
A feature-packed DSC Class D radio with Weather Alert!
And you can only get it from West Marine!
Our VHF585 Fixed-Mount Submersible VHF Radio is a real workhorse! You'll find all the basic features (and quite a few advanced ones as well), a microphone with channel buttons and a submersible design that removes any worry about operation when you're subjected to wind-driven spray and splashes. The large, backlit, full dot-matrix LCD display provides easy viewing of all the important information you'll need to make and receive calls. All this at a price that makes it a terrific value!
Built to withstand the toughest of environments, the VHF585 meets the highest submersible standards of IPX8, which means the radio can be submerged in 1.5 meters of water for 30 minutes without damage.
Digital Selective Calling Features
Digital Selective Calling (DSC) is a standard that allows you to call other stations using their unique identification code (the Maritime Mobile Service Identity or MMSI number), just like you would call a phone number. To call another station, just enter that station’s MMSI number and choose the voice channel you want to talk on. The radio uses channel 70 to transmit your MMSI number to the other station along with the voice channel you requested. If the other station accepts your call, both radios automatically switch to the requested voice channel so you can talk to the other station.
Advanced DSC Features
The following DSC features are supported: Individual Call, Group Call, All Ships Call, Position Request, Position Send, Test Call, Name and MMSI Directory, Standby Mode and Received Call Log.
Automated Distress Calls
DSC provides a system for automated distress calls. At the touch of a button, the radio can transmit your MMSI number, the nature of your distress, and your current position based on data from your GPS receiver. The radio repeats the distress call every few minutes until it receives an acknowledgement.
Weather Alert Watch
If you activate Weather Alert Watch while operating in normal mode, the radio checks the most recently-used National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather channel every seven seconds. If it detects a weather alert for your area, it will change the channel to the last-used weather channel. The radio will not check the weather channel while you are actively transmitting; it waits until your transmission is finished and then checks the weather channel. The weather alert watch sounds a warning tone when a hazard alert is issued for your area.
Triple Watch Mode
Checks the Coast Guard Distress/Hailing channels 16 and 9 in the background every two seconds. You would use this mode when you want to monitor a channel yet maintain a watch on channels 16 and 9.
Dual Watch Mode
Checks the Coast Guard Distress/Hailing channel 16 in the background every two seconds. You would use this mode when you want to monitor a channel yet maintain a watch on channel 16.
NOTE: You are required to monitor channel 16 whenever your boat is underway so you should have either Triple Watch or Dual Watch on at all times.
Memory Scan Mode
You can save channels into memory and then use scan mode to monitor those channels. When the radio detects a signal on a channel, it pauses on that channel as long as the signal is received. When the transmission stops, the radio will continue scanning.
Transmitter Power Level
In most situations, the 1 Watt transmission power is all you need. If you find yourself far away from other stations and have trouble getting a response, you may need to boost the transmission power from 1 Watt to 25 Watts. The power level button lets you change the transmission power level back and forth as needed.
The VHF585 will display a warning and sound an alert tone if the battery voltage goes too high or too low.
You will find channel select up/down buttons and a channel 16/9 Triple/Dual Watch button conveniently located on the microphone which features a non-slip rubber grip.
Connecting Your Radio
To operate correctly, your radio requires two electrical connections. You must provide it with power from the boat’s electrical system and connect a VHF-FM marine antenna (sold separately) to the antenna connector.
Using the accessory cable pigtail on the back of the radio you can connect the VHF585 to a GPS receiver, a GPS chartplotter and an external speaker (all sold separately).
- Controls: Volume, squelch, eight keys
- Channel Selection: Up/down arrow keys
- Display Type: LCD (full dot matrix)
- Dimensions: 7"W X 3"H X 6"D
- Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Supply Voltage: Nominal 13.8V DC, negative ground (10.5 VDC to 16.0 VDC)
- Antenna Impedance: 50 Ω nominal
- Microphone: Rugged 2 kΩ condenser mic element with coiled cord
- Microphone Controls: Channel up/down and 16/9 keys
- Speaker: 1.77", 8 Ω
- Operating Temperature Range: –4°F to +122°F (–20°C to + 50°C)
- Shock and Vibration: Meets or exceeds EIA standards, RS152B and RS204C
- Scanning Modes: Programmable Triple- and Dual-Watch
- Weather Alert: S.A.M.E. Emergency/Weather Alert
- Transmitter Power Output: 1 watt or 25 watt (user selectable)
- Power Requirement: 25 watts output: 6A@13.8V DC
- Receiver Performance: Sensitivity: 0.25µV; Rejection: 70dB
- Audio Distortion: Less than 8% with 3 kHz deviation with 1000 Hz modulating frequency
- Frequency Range: 156 to 163 MHz
- NMEA Interface: NMEA 0183
- Waterproof Rating: IPX8
- AIS Channels: Not supported
- Warranty: Three-year waterproof; 49.99 flat rate
Included in the box
- VHF585 Fixed-Mount VHF Radio
- Mounting bracket and knobs
- Mounting hardware
- DC power cable
- Owner's manual
- Microphone with coiled cord
- Microphone hanger with mounting hardware
VHF585 Fixed-Mount Submersible VHF Radio
|Dimensions||7" Width x 3" Height x 6" Depth|
|Display Type||Dot Matrix LCD|
|Warranty Details||Three Years Waterproof|
The West Advisor articles have answered boaters' questions and provided solutions to boating problems for more than 20 years. West Marine has compiled one of the Web's most comprehensive collections of technical boating information articles.
Related West Advisor Articles
Free Standard Shipping is only applicable on orders over $49.00 and within the 48 contiguous United States. Free shipping does not apply to Truck Freight.
FREE DELIVERY to West Marine Stores
- Available for ALL products including hazardous & truck freight items.
- Ship to over 260 U.S. store locations.
- Contiguous United States orders arrive in 8 - 10 days.
- Hawaii and Alaska orders arrive in 10 - 16 days
- Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee.
- Not available in Puerto Rico.
FREE SHIPPING on orders over $49.00
- Applicable on orders over $49.00 within the 48 contiguous United States.
- Does not apply to Truck Freight.
- No coupon code required.
- Orders will be delivered within 3 - 7 business days.
We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your West Marine purchase does not meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement or refund. If you are a West Advantage Rewards member, you don't even need a receipt - we'll have a record of your purchase. Returns can be made via mail or in person at their nearest store location.
We do carry a few items that cannot be returned: items with expiration dates that have expired such as flares, charts, annual publications; items registered to the user such as boats, motors, EPIRBs, PLBs, SPOT, Class B AIS, life rafts; customized items such as rigging, and boat covers; computer software, electronics charts, and carry-on air conditioners. For electronics we will help you contact the vendor for assistance or repair. If you are not a West Advantage Rewards member, we will first need to verify your purchase by receipt or other method.
Standard Shipping (ground service) is used to ship items that are considered hazardous. Estimated delivery is 3 – 7 business days and only applicable on deliveries within the contiguous United States. Signature Required for receipt of shipment.
For additional inquiries, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-BOATING (262-8464)